We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

good private driver for Mexico city ?? recommendation

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
London
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
good private driver for Mexico city ?? recommendation

hi we are looking to hire a private driver for a couple of days to see Mexico city in our own time.

Can anyone recommend a reliable, good english speaking person who can show us the sites ???? with tel numbers

Also what would you pay the driver on a daily rate ???

Thanks

Adam D from London England

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: good private driver for Mexico city ?? recommendation

I can't provide, directly, the information you seek. I visit the city frequently but know my way around on public transportation pretty well, and, therefore, don't need the services of a driver.

Many of the tourist-class hotels that foreigners stay in have a "sitio" or station of taxi cabs and private cars that are attached/stationed at the hotel. Many of these drivers speak enough English to get by on, and some speak it very well for Mexico. The cars are generally available for hire - hourly or daily.

Another option is to speak with the driver who takes you from the airport to your hotel in the authorized/secure taxi. If he doesn't speak enough English to suit your needs he likely has a friend who drives who does, and these drivers frequently provide private car service for tourists, from what they've told me when I've asked in the past.

You ask about the cost for such a service and I can't suggest anything exact. The cost will depend upon how many hours per day and just where you'll be visiting. I think, however, that you might want to budget the peso equivalent of US$100 to US$150 per day for 5 or 6 hours.

Many prices in Mexico are negotiable, but many of us are uncomfortable with the negotiating/haggling process. Don't be afraid to tell the person quoting you a price for this service that you think it's too expensive. They'll likely reduce the price a bit. If not, there are others willing to drive you. If everyone quotes you a similar price then, obviously, that's what you'll have to pay if you want the service to be provided.

Best of luck with your planning, and with the trip.