We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dickenson Guest House in Guadalajara

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
12,928 posts
535 reviews
Save Topic
Dickenson Guest House in Guadalajara

Hi, Wondering if anyone has stayed at Dickenson Guest House in Guad ( Zapopan) lately.

Reviews looked good and Guad. Reporter had a write up on the place which sounded good. Have some friends coming for visit looking to spend some time in Guad., and also thinking I may want to do some tourist activities as well in near future, but since live in general area, not looking for the usual hotel atmosphere.

I hear great wifi speed, a necessity for me and others I know as well as many other amenities. Any input would be appreciated...thanks

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
16,446 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dickenson Guest House in Guadalajara

Hi bezerk....wifi is a necessity for me when I travel in the US (if I feel like taking my laptop) but not when I travel in Mexico. There, I'm on vacation and relaxing and getting away from computers and such.

What is the address of this place and how far is it from cultural areas. I like to walk, more than taking a taxi.

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,928 posts
535 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dickenson Guest House in Guadalajara

Marly....you can check it out under hotels here....

I never used to take my laptop on vacation, but I do now as I find it easier to check on something in a hurry, or make skype calls or get in touch with my son without calling via cell phone and such. Plus then I have all my vacation pics to share with people I meet who might be interested LOL.

My post was to get more info on this place from people who have stayed as it seems it would be a good option for anyone visiting me, instead of me carting them in and out of Guad, as well as a good option for us, for spending a few days in town. It had a lot of amenties offered that are not usually offered at hotels and I like Zapopan.

We many times go into Guad to have our car serviced and just hang around and then sometimes it takes more than one day, so we have to taxi or bus back and forth, this way we could just stay there.....go to eat....go shopping, go to movies or what have you and no worry about driving back home. So looks like a good option for me. Centro is lovely but I have spent a lot of time there so this I think would work fo rme and any of my friends that visit....we'll see what others post...

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,928 posts
535 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dickenson Guest House in Guadalajara

There was a write up in Guadalajara Reporter on this place that is what prompted me to enquire regarding.....I have gotten other recommendations via PM as well...

I said check under hotels in Guad but actually it is under B&B's as is a guest house.

Chicago
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Dickenson Guest House in Guadalajara

Have never stayed at Dickenson Guest House, but have stayed in Tlaquepaque at Quinta Don Jose, which is a FANTASTIC bed and breakfast! The inn is beautiful, the staff is professional, the grounds are professionally manicured, the food is great - they have an on-site chef at their restaurant - the rates are reasonable, and the drinks at the bar are good, as well! Go check it out! Tlaquepaque is within close proximity to downtown Guadalajara, and I think it's a better place to stay. It's a little more upscale than Z-Town (Zapopan). Anyway, if you want to check out their website it is: www.quintadonjose.com

Good luck!

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,928 posts
535 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dickenson Guest House in Guadalajara

Thank you Chicagogringo....I know exactly where that B&B is.....it of course is always an option....personally for me though I have been to Tlaquepaque enough.....well maybe not enough, but more looking for area to stay close to nightlife, Galerias Mall, car dealership etc, and Zapopan fits the bill.

Tlaquepaque is a great area, do a lot of shopping on walking street and also surrounding streets, but that would be just a day trip for me......not somewhere where I would want to overnight....I do certainly suggest it for those coming from out of Mexico or not as close in proximity as I am..

Would be a good option for my friends as then I could just come get them after a few days and bring them here, but lo and behold now they have changed their plans to later in year....They too have been here.

Oh the Dickenson house also offers free laundry, and free calls to US and Canada...and free gated parking. along with many other included amenities, not upscale from what I have read but certainly in good area for close shopping in Guad etc.

Thanks again for another option. I'll keep in my save file.....Happy Vacations and Holidays!!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,446 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dickenson Guest House in Guadalajara

Bezerk...

As you know, I haven't stayed in this guest house but seriously looked into it for my upcoming trip and decided it wouldn't work for me. We all have different needs. I liked the "memory foam" mattresses (big selling point) and location but I need my own bathroom. If you want to rent it for your whole family though, it sounds like an excellent possibility. The owner is obviously attentive to his guests.

Can you please PM me. Like some of the folks on the PV forum are discussing lately, none of my PM's work. I can receive PM's but I can't send them. I want to make sure to be in touch with you before I get there in a couple of months.

thanks............

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,928 posts
535 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dickenson Guest House in Guadalajara

Marly I sent you a PM....

Hmmm.. I though there was an option of a private bath if you chose. I'll have t recheck on that, for me...thanks

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,928 posts
535 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dickenson Guest House in Guadalajara

marly I think everyone who is having PM issues should send TA support an email as mine is sporatic, many cannot send which of course is uploading and I was able last night or few nights ago to upload a few pics to my new review of Scorpion Island on Lake Chapala, but now am trying to put more and nothing for over an hour....also have tried repeadely for days to put some on my Maz. review and they will not go either....obviously this has to be a site issue and upload issue, my upload speed is fine...I have contacted them a few times and no luck in their suggestions...

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,446 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dickenson Guest House in Guadalajara

I'll do that, bezerk....re reporting problems with PM's. I sent you one back, and sending back seems to work. Sending doesn't work at all.

Unfortunately, I tried booking that other place mentioned above, in Tlaquepaque, and it is full for one of the days I want. Back to the drawing board.

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,928 posts
535 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dickenson Guest House in Guadalajara

oh marly, that stinks....I may have a list somewhere on some other places...if I can find a few minutes I'll send them to you...I am quite bogged down right now...take care