We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling companion to Patzcuaro

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Ajijic hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chapala, Mexico
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Traveling companion to Patzcuaro

Hola,

I will be arriving in Ajijic 3/6 and then I am going to Patzcuaro from 3/14-3/17. I have booked a 2 bedroom suite at La Casa Encantada (google it to see how nice it is. They serve a gourmet breakfast and they are close to one of the plazas. I am a young 61 female who is wondering if another female might be interested in going with me and who would be able to drive there.

We could share costs with some adjustment on the actual room rent.

If anyone is interested you can contact me at my email address in Washington State: nova@rockisland.com.

Muchas gracias,

Sandy

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
11,845 posts
450 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling companion to Patzcuaro

Patzcuaro is great. I have been talking with sandrita for some time now.

Come on sure someone would like to go on a short trip there.......

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
33 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling companion to Patzcuaro

Dear Sandy,

Well, I missed your posting by about 9 months, but I, too, am a "young" 60 year old female who has traveled extensively on my own as well as with a companion now and then. I am very interested in visiting Ajijic and surrounding areas.

If you have a minute, can you tell me how your trip turned out in March? How was La Casa Encantada; would you recommend it to me, traveling solo?

Thank you very much.

Liv

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,265 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling companion to Patzcuaro

Funny this popped again today as I was thinking the same thing.

Me: solo traveler of the same gender and age, and I'm coming to the Lake Chapala area in February to check it out for possible "retirement," as in spending 6 months a year there. I like all the PR about the weather as I can't stand cold or wet. Well, it's really not me....it's just that my housing (body) gets sick in cold and wet.

I just returned from a 2-week trip to Turkey and I know I'll like the Chapala region but I'm trying to apply some of the same principles I used in Turkey -- traveling extremely light (one small carry on) so I'm trying to figure out what to bring. Assume I won't need a hat and gloves/scarf in Feb, with the glorious dry weather?

I'm not much of a shopper but do like to eat good local food and enjoy whatever the local area has to offer, such as culture, scenery and the arts and local activities in the community - both with the local folks and ex-pats.

Thanks for any info. Why don't more people from the Chapala area contribute to this forum. Seems like berzerk is a lone voice sometimes.

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,845 posts
450 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling companion to Patzcuaro

livphilly....Sandy is now living at Chapala Lakeside. I believe she had a nice time in Patzcuaro. Hopefully she will respond or you can send her a private message.

marlysf....hopefully you will not need hat, gloves, scarf in Feb., if you do I am moving. Light sweater at night maybe. I am always cold, so never hot enough here for me, but that is me. Rainy season is June to Oct. or beg. of Nov. Winter hit here early with many cold spells and it has been quite chilly, sometimes hitting the 40's (F) at night, pretty cold when you have no heat...

Feb. is usually dry and windy, as is March with very temperate climate.

Hahahahaha.....bezerk is usually the lone voice.....LOL, forget the Chapala forum, you have to go to the Ajijic forum, and even then, slim pickings...

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,265 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling companion to Patzcuaro

Hi bezerk,

I meant the Ajijic forum, as I don't think there is a Chapala forum? If so, I haven't found it. I wrote on the Ajijic forum.

You do give a lot of good advice about the area and not too many others chime in. Where is everyone? Having a relaxing day in paradise?

Glad to hear another person of my vintage found her place in Lakeside. Friday Harbor, WA (San Juan Islands) - where Sandy used to live - is a beautiful place but can be cold, wet and grey at certain times of the year. So can the SF Bay Area. I've been contemplating the Lakeside area (for retirement) for 16 years since I was last in Guadalajara. I'll be there in February. It's time.

I'll put my other questions into a separate thread but would appreciate it if you share your vast knowledge of the area.

thanks.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
33 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling companion to Patzcuaro

Hi, MarlySF, How nice to see there are THREE older solo travelers in the world! How about the fact that Sandy has MOVED to Chapala Lakeside - Go, Girl! :)

I am interested in the area for the same reasons you are - part time living. How long are you staying in February? This area is totally new to me, but from what I have read, it has a lot to offer.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
33 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling companion to Patzcuaro

Thank you, bezerk. I hope Sandy will email me and share her experiences in her new home. Liv

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,265 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling companion to Patzcuaro

Actually, liv, I think there are a lot of us in the same situation and with the same fascination and have been for some time.

When will you be there? I'm there for a week from Feb 18-25. Three days in Guad. before that. I've been to Guad. twice before and have researched the Chapala area since 1992 but "life got in the way" (you know how that is).

It is now getting to the point where it's very difficult to continue living on my small fixed income in the SF Bay Area, so the time is right.

If you will be there during any of the days I'm there, let me know and we can hook up and chat. Oh, BTW, I love Philly. My son used to live there (now in Maryland) and I've been back there several times recently. Going again in April to visit the National Constitution Center.

I'm glad you bumped this thread up. Please PM me.

Go Sandy!

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,845 posts
450 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling companion to Patzcuaro

Well I hope Sandy emails as well....

I actually am not an older solo, I am married with kids here, only one kid left here now...18 years old. Hubby goes back and forth to states though so I do spend a lot of time here more or less alone or with a bunch of young adults LOL. I also do a ton of traveling in Mexico.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
33 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling companion to Patzcuaro

Hi, MarleySF,

Please let me know how your trip in February turns out. I have no plans to travel right now, but I hope you have a good time. Liv