We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report October 12 - 20 Part 2

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report October 12 – 20 Part 2

What to do/Where to go on GHC

18 replies to this topic
Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Trip Report October 12 – 20 Part 2

Oh...you lucky girl! That is Hans' brand new property with the same name as his previous property. We were supposed to stay there but it wasn't ready yet. We saw it being built. It is on Love Beach. Hotel Point is 5 minutes away in a golf cart. Hans is awesome!!! Start a conversation with him and he will answer all your questions. He lives on the island and makes sure you are well taken care of. He brought us fresh bread one day! A golf cart is all you need if weather permits, and if you don't plan to drive it at night. Our cart had no headlights, but you can ask him about that. Print out my list and take it with you. We've been to other out islands in the Bahamas, so we know what to expect and what not to expect. My idea of wonderful may not be the same as yours, but we loved GHC! It is very low key If that's what you're looking for you will love it too.

Edited: 4:34 pm, January 21, 2014
Roanoke, Virginia
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Trip Report October 12 – 20 Part 2

Bythesea, thanks a million for your review!! Husband and I are staying at Hans property that I suppose is new? Looks gorgeous and we are excited! Only 3.5 months to go!

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Trip Report October 12 – 20 Part 2

Yes, and Hans posted a link to another GHC website on another thread the other day. Did you see it? There is a facebook page called Great Harbour Cay Life. Also on facebook is Carriearl Boutiqe Hotel... Angie is great! Neither post a whole lot, but its a way to stay in touch. Just remember what I said.....low key!!!! Don't bring a bunch of dressy clothes! Bring a bunch of bathing suits!!! :)

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Trip Report October 12 – 20 Part 2

The post by Hans that i was referring to was on the Eleuthera forum. So I cut and pasted it here for you.

3. Re: Berry Island / Great Harbour Cay

Jan 23, 2014, 8:13 AM

If you need information on the Berry Islands and Great Harbour Cay in particular, please log on to www.greatharbourcay.com On this site you will find visitor information as well as information on the island and a bit of history. Let me know if you need further assistance by emailing me at hans@greatharbourcay.com

Cheers,

Hans

Roanoke, Virginia
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Trip Report October 12 – 20 Part 2

Bythesea, we are staying May 10-17 in Hans 2bedroom property in GHC. Just wondering a few things... Will a golf cart be sufficient to rent, or will we actually need a car or 4x4? I have read a lot about food supplies being hit or miss on the island. Will we have trouble getting things like milk, eggs, meat? I'm just wondering about what we will do for dinner the evening that we fly into GHC.. and food for the rest of the week. We have a 3 hour layover in the states, then a 2hour layover in Nassau before flying into GHC. Thanks in advance!

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Trip Report October 12 – 20 Part 2

I answered some of those questions in my trip report which was in two parts. We only used a golf cart, but we had mostly good weather and we did not ride around at night. It would be your preference. You definitely don't need 4 wheel drive. it's not like Eleuthera. Beaches are easy access. We went everywhere in the golf cart. We brought some food in a carry on soft sided cooler, shopped for some, and went to restaurants. The grocery store in town is well stocked, but we don't buy meat ever, except fresh seafood, so not sure about that.. You can buy fresh fish too. Hans is a great resource as well. He would buy groceries for you and have in the fridge for you if you ask. You will have restaurant options every night. Ask Hans for best suggestion for first night depending on day of week. I hope this helps. Do a search on forums for lists of food to bring.

Roanoke, Virginia
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Trip Report October 12 – 20 Part 2

Just reading up and prepping for the trip.. what bug repellent did you bring? I can't find many suggestions via Google about what works best against the no see ums. Yet, I have read that Avon Skin So Soft works wonders? I know you didn't seem to have a problem with bites, we just want to be prepared!

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Trip Report October 12 – 20 Part 2

We usually just bring what we have and that is usually spray such as Cutter's or Deep Woods Off or some kind of spray with a fair amount of deet. I prefer spray over SSS because it goes on fast. I don't use it until I know I need it, and by that time I need something fast, such as spray. Who wants to rub on oily stuff while you are getting bit? We kept a can of spray in the golf cart at all times (so we don't have to dig into the beach bag to get it), one in the beach bag that was always with us everywhere we went, and one on the porch. It was breezy when we were on GHC, so we did not need it much. I used the Afterbite when I got bit.

Reply to: Trip Report October 12 – 20 Part 2
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted