We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Labour weekend family friendly visit to Muskoka in a budget

toronto
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
Labour weekend family friendly visit to Muskoka in a budget

We are planning a 2 nights trip to Muskoka this labour day weekend with our pre-school child.

This is our first time to Muskoka.

We are looking for some fun activities and not just relaxing.

I have been told about Huntsville.

What kind of activities are there to enjoy?

Also, is it reasonable to expect a ~$120/night stay in a decent and clean hotel/motel that has a little fridge and microwave as we prefer to bring our own food. Any recommendations?

I check Lumunia resort, but its too pricey for the labour day long weekend ($225+ per night)

12 replies to this topic
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
19,177 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Labour weekend family friendly visit to Muskoka in a budget

You might take a look at the Muskoka tourism website - it lists activities, and also various hotels/inns/resorts/etc.

http://www.discovermuskoka.ca/

Labour Day can be a busy weekend - last long weekend of summer and all that ... on the other hand, people often clear out early back to the city for start of school, so there may be availability.

Take a look also at Gravehurst, Bracebridge, Port Carling area for accommodation.

Edited: 4:44 pm, August 13, 2013
toronto
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Labour weekend family friendly visit to Muskoka in a budget

Thanks, I am hoping since this is the last summer weekend and schools starting, people prefer to stay home this weekend..but may be not.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Labour weekend family friendly visit to Muskoka in a budget

Might be tough for your budget as you may have left your plans too late...

Edited: 5:43 pm, August 13, 2013
toronto
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Labour weekend family friendly visit to Muskoka in a budget

SO what is a reasonable budget then?

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Labour weekend family friendly visit to Muskoka in a budget

Here is a place that's right in your budget. It's a motel in Port Severn called Muskey's Landing. A room with a kitchenette is $124 per night. A one bedroom cottage is $135 per night and a two bedroom is $165 a night. The view from the motel is nice overlooking Georgian Bay however the only negative is that it's quite close to the highway.

Have a look at the website and make sure you click on "rates" and on "accomodations" which has pictures of the rooms and cottages. If you can afford $165 per night the 2 bedroom cottage might be a good idea so that the little one can go to sleep in his own bedroom and you two can still stay up without fear of waking the little one. Good luck.

http://www.muskeys.ca/

toronto
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Labour weekend family friendly visit to Muskoka in a budget

It looks like this place is mostly appropriate for fishing only, if I am not wrong.

We are looking for canoes, kayaks, jet skis, chair lifts and activities for kids.

are these all available close by?

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Labour weekend family friendly visit to Muskoka in a budget

Well, I've copy and pasted this from the home page.....

"Get out on the water in a canoe, kayak or paddle boat. For those looking to stay active, challenge your friends to a game of Basketball or Volleyball, or a competitive game of Horseshoes. Kids are kept busy on the Children's playground."

So there are a few things they offer but I doubt they rent jet skis. Not many motels rent out jet skis. Basically, you might have to do a little research. Google "Port Severn Jet Ski rentals" and I'm sure something will come up. I've never stayed here so I really don't know how great it is but I have passed it by 100's of times. I just thought it was in your budget and close to Muskoka and close to Toronto so I thought I'd pass it on.

If you did decide to stay there a great idea would be to call them directly and ask about things to do and places to see nearby. I'm sure they will be able to help you.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Labour weekend family friendly visit to Muskoka in a budget

Nice work there Krusty....

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Labour weekend family friendly visit to Muskoka in a budget

Thanks td....

By the way....here are the tripadvisor reviews...

tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g1144943-d138993…

gxp
Niagara
Level Contributor
2,371 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Labour weekend family friendly visit to Muskoka in a budget

Deja vu, seems the OP had same problem last year.

Reply to: Labour weekend family friendly visit to Muskoka in a budget
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted