We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question on Trails-GUIDES!!! LOST?

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
654 reviews
Save Topic
Question on Trails-GUIDES!!! LOST?

Are the trails well marked? Is there a great danger of getting lost. We are experienced hikers and always carry compass, map, and GPS but were reading about a guide service that says the park is best hiked with a guide. Anyone offer an opinion on that? Has anyone used the guide service?

Thanks!

ZB

Newfoundland
Level Contributor
167 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Question on Trails-GUIDES!!! LOST?

I camp in the back country once a year either in winter or summer. The terrain features are unique as you move through the park so if you know how to use a map and compass backed up with a gps you have no worries of getting lost. The only real risk you face is the rapidly changing weather.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,652 posts
1,238 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question on Trails-GUIDES!!! LOST?

Nevr had a problem and we did a lot of trails last summer. If you have a gps as a back up there should be no problem, I cannot recall if I ever needed to look at mine.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,652 posts
1,238 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question on Trails-GUIDES!!! LOST?

I recall Green Garden was a little hard to follow along the coast, sheck with rangers about crossing streams, we did not go that far. Check a previous post I have "Trails I did and loved" or something like that. I do not think a guide is neded in most cases.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
654 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question on Trails-GUIDES!!! LOST?

Thanks very much. That is the conclusion we have also reached after studying the National Parks website. Appreciate the advice!

ZB

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,652 posts
1,238 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question on Trails-GUIDES!!! LOST?

Parks Canada link

pc.gc.ca/pn-np/…I

Start GrosMNorne Mountain early it is a long one, but worth it. PM me if you have any questions.

Norris Point, Canada
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Question on Trails-GUIDES!!! LOST?

All officially by Parks Canada maintained trails are well marked and designed to be used by hikers without guides provided you observe the directions and pay attention to the signage. Detailed trail descriptions are available at the visitor information centers. There are some very nice "unofficial" hiking routes where you need either a guide or very profound navigational skills.

I don't know which guiding service you are talking about but if it is Longrange Adventures they may save you from getting lost but you might run in to other "surprises".

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Gros Morne National Park
Level Contributor
776 posts
467 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question on Trails-GUIDES!!! LOST?

Hi we live in Gros morne and own a B&B in cow head no need at all for guide or even GPS most trails are easy to moderate

joe batts arm
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Question on Trails-GUIDES!!! LOST?

atcanada, are you the competition? and thats is why you are bad mouthing Long Range Adventures, maybe ill let trip advisor and long range adventures know about this...

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,652 posts
1,238 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question on Trails-GUIDES!!! LOST?

Perhaps he could expand on his comment so we can learn from his experiences. He did reply to my pm?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,652 posts
1,238 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question on Trails-GUIDES!!! LOST?

Sorry he did not reply to my pm.

Get answers to your questions about Rocky Harbour
More Rocky Harbour Topics