We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
177 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Bus?

Hi guys,

Any idea if there is any bus running from ferry port to Gros Morne Hostel at Sally's cove? And from there to St.Johns?

Many thanks

5 replies to this topic
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,059 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus?

Anthony, you posted your query in two forums so I'm posting my answer in both as well:

Short answer - there is no direct bus that will get you there.

Longer, more specific answer - You can get the DRL coach at the ferry terminal ONCE per day (ferry arrives approximately 7:00 a.m., bus will be leaving at about 8:00 a.m.) and it can drop you off in Deer Lake arriving around 12:30 p.m. Cost is about $46 one way. All tickets are cash only! From Deer Lake you have some choices of taxi and bus services:

Viking 430 Shuttle, Norris Point (709) 458-3016/8186 - shuttle bus service between Norris Point/Rocky Harbour/Deer Lake/Corner Brook. THIS WILL ONLY GET YOU AS FAR AS NORRIS POINT, you need to go further north to the hostel.

Pittman’s Taxi, Norris Point (709) 458-2486 - local taxi service in Gros Morne on north side.

Martin’s Transportation, Woody Point (709) 453-2207 – shuttle bus service between Trout River/Woody Point/Deer Lake/Corner Brook and local taxi service in Gros Morne on south side

Deer Lake Taxi (709) 635-2521 - services Deer Lake Airport to Gros Morne (I found the taxi service from Deer Lake airport to Corner Brook to be incredibly expensive so it would be even worse to Gros Morne!)

When you're done in Gros Morne you need to get back to Deer Lake to catch the bus heading to St. John's. It leaves Deer Lake heading east ONCE PER DAY at about 12:30 p.m. and will arrive in St. John's at around 9:40 p.m. (Memorial University - MUN). Cost from Deer Lake to St. John's will be about $90 one way. All tickets are cash only!

Getting around Newfoundland by bus and the other limited methods of public transportation will be challenging. I wouldn't want to do it. Good luck!

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Gros Morne National Park
Level Contributor
691 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus?

Also Gross morne hostile is not in sally's cove but rocky harbour as their is no accommodation in sally's cove. If your going to sally's cove use Trip advisor and newfoundland better bussiness bureau to search the company your going to go on a tour with. This company and thats used very loosely would be the only reason to go to sally's cove unless you need a fench fry fix from the chip truck ,you might want to re think using them and I hope you didnt pre pay

Edited: 5:50 am, March 24, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus?

Lol that was a question from two years ago, but thanks anyway. Just for the sake of sharing information for this who are going there, actually, there was a hostel in Sally Cove at that time(Not sure if it is still there). However, I didn't stay there as I was given an advice by this hostel owner in Bears on the lake that this hostel was the filthiest hostel he had ever stayed at - Huge garbage pile at the front, people smoking pot in the living room, and most important of all no bed linens. He seemed giving me a genuine advice and didn't seem to have any grudge against this hostel, so I ended up taking his advice and stayed in Rocky Habour instead.

Edited: 7:36 am, March 24, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus?

Sorry if my user name confuses anyone. I just hooked it up with my Facebook and now it doesn't show the old user name anymore. Have to changed to something similar so that not leave room for confusion.

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Gros Morne National Park
Level Contributor
691 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus?

I live in the area for the last 6 years and have never heard of any accommodation in sally cove I didn't notice that's the question was two years old not sure how i found it

Reply to: Bus?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Port aux Basques