We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Take 432-433-434-438 from Northern Peninsula?

Whitby, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Take 432-433-434-438 from Northern Peninsula?

We have a day to get back to Gros Morne from St Anthony. Is there anything interesting on 432-433-434-438? I found a flyer mentioning the French Shores on 432. I take it there is some history but is there much to see?

7 replies to this topic
Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,604 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Take 432-433-434-438 from Northern Peninsula?

Hi

I have only just seen this post so not sure if it is too late.

Last week we also were looking for an alternative route back to Gros Morne from St. Anthony and decided to visit the French coast.. We ended up, after a longish drive along the almost deserted 432 in Roddickstown. This was a surprisingly, almost bustling, little town with really pretty scenery and a very good, busy restaurant. We then took the long dusty, but solid, gravel road to Conche. I was really glad we did. Icebergs in the bay, Two very pretty communities. A friendly interpretive centre with a marvellous tapestry of the history of the locality. It turns out they are all Irish there, not French. The French people left and the Irish workers remained. We took a hike on the cliffs hoping to get closer to the icebergs and got quite lost,meaning a later than planned arrival in Shallow Bay in the evening.

One of our most memorable days, as it turns out.

Vermont
Level Contributor
242 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Take 432-433-434-438 from Northern Peninsula?

Irish Rover, I like your description of your St. Anthony-Shallow Bay jaunt. The out of the way places in NL are so interesting. You are a true traveler.

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Take 432-433-434-438 from Northern Peninsula?

I think Conche is one of the most scenic towns in this province.

Gander NL
Level Contributor
931 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Take 432-433-434-438 from Northern Peninsula?

Conche and Croque are both beautiful and historic. Well worth the drive for the view alone.

you should also go north to Griquet-St. Lunaire to get more of the French history. This history dates back hundreds of years, and if you hit the right interpretor or site, is very interesting. We'll be doing it again this summer as I've never seen the tapestry.

The site below talks about the treaty of Utrecht which is only one aspect of the history.

www.heritage.nf.ca/exploration/utrecht.html

This is a French Shore site in Conche. We'll be checking it out this summer.

frenchshore.com/en/…topfive

Toronto
Level Contributor
179 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Take 432-433-434-438 from Northern Peninsula?

Fantastic idea! How much time doers it add to the drive to Deer Lake? I'll check with our rental company but off the top is anyone aware of gravel road restrictions on rentals?

Whitby, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Take 432-433-434-438 from Northern Peninsula?

You can drive on gravel no problemo. They would never know anyways unless you did some rough off roading. Just about every town and site north of Gros Morne can only be accessed via some kind of gravel road off the paved highways. We went to (Conche or Croque? I forget) and it was about 25km on gravel. Well worth the drive for me, nice little area. SMALL town. Visit the writing on the walls from the 1700s on the beach (I believe the bay is called "le fond". A fisherman wrote his name on the wall while he was taking a break, hiding from the boss). That alone was very cool! Girlfriend didn't like the area so much cause there wasn't a whole lot to see. Everything is really falling apart in these Conche (houses, docks, cemetery). Wish I had seen Croque. I think there was a museum I really wanted to check out. Next time I guess...

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
260 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Take 432-433-434-438 from Northern Peninsula?

We'll be in that area early August. Although this is an old posting originally, I am glad I caught it for the information. Sounds like we will be visiting Conche and/or Croque. We're leaving in July and I keep checking back at the forum almost daily...

Reply to: Take 432-433-434-438 from Northern Peninsula?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about L'Anse aux Meadows