We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry Ride to Grand Manan Island

Ontario
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Ferry Ride to Grand Manan Island

Hi,

Can anyone tell me about the ferry ride to the island. Was it rough? I am terrified of water & it's the only thing that is stopping me from getting a cottage booked on Grand Manan Island and going there.

Thanks for any insight

Mentioned in this post
Grand Manan Island
Grand Manan Island
110 Reviews
New Brunswick, Canada
7 replies to this topic
Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
628 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry Ride to Grand Manan Island

We've made the crossing when the ocean was very calm, and also when it was quite rough. The ferries are a good size, so even if it is rough, it is very safe.

Perhaps vacationing on an island is not a good idea for someone who nis terrified of Water.

Ontario
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry Ride to Grand Manan Island

Probably terrified was a strong word. I had just got done watching the ferry ride from hell on You Tube before my post. I love water as long as I'm not physically in it and prefer to be able to see shore when I'm on a boat so I just wanted to know what the ferry ride was like. Thanks for your input. The cottage is booked and there's only one way there......

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
628 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry Ride to Grand Manan Island

I don't know what your interests are, but if they involve nature Grand Manan is a wonderful place. And has some of the best whale watching in eastern North America. We've seen whales plenty of times from the cliffs and headlands of Grand Manan, but, of course, a [very safe, coast guard approved] boat is your best bet for whales.

In any case, have a great trip!

Amherst, New...
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry Ride to Grand Manan Island

I always enjoy the ferry trip. If you live the hustle and bustle, put away the smartphone and downshift! The island gives you what you need!

If you're one to get airsick / carsick, a dramamine (locally Gravol) will give you assurances that you'll have an enjoyable ride. In the summer, consider the roundtrip as 2 cheap whale watch tours you get to bring your car on!

1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry Ride to Grand Manan Island

How long is the ferry ride from Blacks Harbor to Grand Manan Island?

Mentioned in this post
Grand Manan Island
Grand Manan Island
110 Reviews
New Brunswick, Canada
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
23,838 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry Ride to Grand Manan Island

90 minutes.

grandmanan.coastaltransport.ca/info.html

Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry Ride to Grand Manan Island

I really enjoy the ferry ride. It's rare but it can be a little rough on windy days. I hardly notice because the ferry is so big. The ferry ride itself is amazing on a sunny day. You can porpoise watch and if you're really lucky, you may see whales!

Reply to: Ferry Ride to Grand Manan Island
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Grand Manan