We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

golden sands -v- turkey

Which Golden Sands hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
coventry
Level Contributor
65 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
golden sands -v- turkey

just got back from turkey. have been enjoying holidays there for over 20 years, but prices have gone through the roof this year, so considering golden sands in bulgaria this year. never been, but sound preferable to sunny beach. can you find the time to win me over? want sunshine, nice people and great value. will i get it if i book for golden sands next year? many thanx in advance,hj

London, United...
Level Contributor
293 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: golden sands -v- turkey

Hi there

I'm a Turkey lover, but this summer saw us travelling all the way along the Bulgarian Coast.

For us the best part of Bulgaria was our final destination of Sinnemoritz, part of a nature reserve area (and a stone's throw from Turkey lol), but it depends what you're after in a holiday.

If you love Marmaris you will love Golden Sands. I would say of the 2 main resorts GS or Sunny Beach, Golden Sands is the better (but neither was what we were looking for).

The sun shone throughout our 3 week stay in August.

Most of the people we came across we mostly unhelpful and rude. Hopefully, if you stay in a regular hotel for a two week stint you might find different?

I would say, food is excellent throughout and alcohol real cheap. Travelling around by bus or minibus was very cheap too, so yes, I would say good value.

Would we go again? NO. Back to Turkey for us even if it is more expensive.

I would say give it go, you never know 'til you try!

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
6,426 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: golden sands -v- turkey

Midlands Grandma

First visited Bulgaria in the 1990s, the resort of Golden Sands and loved it. So much so we have returned many times over the years. Have also visited Sunny Beach a few times but have to say I do like Golden sands better.

There seems to be more 18-30s going now to Sunny Beach but we have never seen any signs of trouble or rowdiness during our visits. My husband and I are in the 60-65 age group and Golden sands is definately more suited to us. Please bear in mind though that GS is quite hilly so it would be wise to book accomodation nearer the front.

I always read the forums with great interest and many people this year are saying it is much more expensive now in Bulgaria. In my opinion it is still excellent value for money and I will definately return.

Noticed your remarks about prices in Turkey. We have also had many holidays in Turkey over the years.

We stayed this year for 3 weeks in Armutulan and although we felt eating out was still great value we did thinks drinks and soft drinks were really expensive.

If I can answer anymore questions about Golden Sands please dont hesitate to ask.

coventry
Level Contributor
65 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: golden sands -v- turkey

hi there, really useful info here. thanx a lot. there are a mixed bunch of us going next year, possibly to golden sands. we are all 50+ and fairly mobile! we were thinking about 2 bed aparts at spring court at alan mak. does anyone have any comments. it looks hilly, but there seems to be a chair lift thingy to go down to beach. it claims to be a 20 minute walk into golden sands. we thought self catering with a pool as we need to cut out the single room supplements as some friends require their own bedrooms. can anyone one suggest a better alternative, on the beach and in golden sands? we will need at least 5 bedrooms to accomodate a party of 8/9 i thank you so much. hj

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
6,426 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: golden sands -v- turkey

I wonder if you have had a look at the Balkan Holidays brochure? They have a few new properties in Golden Sands if you want to do self catering.

From your post it looks as though you do prefer to stay outside the main resort of Golden Sands but in my opinion you might find it sometimes gets a bit tedious walking in and out of the resort,. Also bear in mind that taxi fares add to the expense.

Good luck in your search.

5. Re: golden sands -v- turkey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 pm, October 09, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Golden Sands
Recent Conversations