We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the sea suitable for a none swimmer ?

solihull
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Is the sea suitable for a none swimmer ?

My wife is a poor swimmer but enjoys going in the sea. However the sea needs to be calm and shallow as she will not venture out of her depth. Resorts we have gone to recently the sea has either been too rough, gets too deep almost immediately or it has been too stony or pebbly underfoot.

Is the Sunny Beach resort the type that you can just run into the sea without fear of stones and pebbles and can a poor swimmer go someway out from the shoreline without being out of their depth ?

Ayr, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,565 posts
20 reviews
1. Re: Is the sea suitable for a none swimmer ?

Fine white sand beach, as for depths this photo is a good illustration.

https:/…Bulgaria-Sunny_Beach-01.jpg

Stockton-on-Tees...
Destination Expert
for Sunny Beach
Level Contributor
3,003 posts
90 reviews
2. Re: Is the sea suitable for a none swimmer ?

I would say yes, my daughter has been allowed in the sea on her own in sb from age 7 (obviously with me very close by) and she has been fine. Shallow which gradually slopes down, lovely soft sand. Occasionally there might be seaweed depending on current and sometimes it can be strong waves but the lifeguards are brilliant at their job and will tell you if it's advisable not to go in

North Wales
Destination Expert
for Sunny Beach
Level Contributor
7,957 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: Is the sea suitable for a none swimmer ?

No problem with the sea, and the temps at this time of the year are about 26degs. Just take note of any warning flags and listen to the lifeguards. There are sometimes rip tides which can be very dangerous, so take heed of any warnings.

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
134 posts
18 reviews
4. Re: Is the sea suitable for a none swimmer ?

Take Welsh lady's good advice. I have always found the Bulgarian lifeguards to be very professional and take there job very seriously on the beach and at the water parks. You should be fine swimming as long as you know your limits which I am sure you do. Have a fab holiday.

Staffs
Destination Expert
for Bulgaria, Sunny Beach
Level Contributor
4,534 posts
19 reviews
5. Re: Is the sea suitable for a none swimmer ?

The sea is pretty good to be honest. As Welsh Lady says the lifeguards tend to be very vigilant.

The lifeguards finish working at around 5 / 6pm. This will be when problems can happen. Last year a young English guy drowned on the first night of his holiday. He went swimming in the sea when he was drunk in the early hours of the morning -- not a good idea and very sad. I'm a very good swimmer but I would still be careful about swimming on my own. Personally I find it OK -- however be careful. I have been in the sea and you walk in the water up to knee level -- then it can just drop and you go under. More so on the North side of SB. It doesn't bother me because I can swim. It's worth pointing out though for others who aren't able to swim so well.

All of the beach will have lifeguards about in the day -- they are on 'the ball' and warn people if a problem might occur.

Best,

Paul

solihull
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Is the sea suitable for a none swimmer ?

Thanks for all your responses. I went somewhere else this year but the sea does seem ideal for an unconfident swimmer. It does appear that the sea has a sandy very flat seabed (although with an occasional dip). I will give the resort strong consideration next year.

Dennyloanhead...
Level Contributor
2,490 posts
72 reviews
7. Re: Is the sea suitable for a none swimmer ?

When we were there in September on a few days there were very strong waves coming in and knocking even the biggest men off there feet . Great fun if you are a good swimmer and don't have any fear but life guards were on patrol and stopped anyone from going out too far even although it was shallow water . I am a strong swimmer and quite big and those waves easily knocked me over .

Having said that when the sea is calmer it's a great playground for all ages and very safe indeed . There is flags dotted along the beach as there is in parts of Brittaian indicating how safe it is to swim ( red for danger , green for ok etc ) along with life guard posts .

Just use your head and not your heart and you will be safe and pay attention to the flag system and be responsible .

Overall it is a safe beach for relaxing and swimming .

John M

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
63 reviews
8. Re: Is the sea suitable for a none swimmer ?

i find sunny beach to be flat and fine for non swimmers just dont get out of your depth

their will be alot of people also in the water so you could be tempted to move away from them

make sure that you feel safe do not rely on the life guards they are not to the same standard as the uk

before any one comments on my view of the lifeguards most of my group have done the silver cross in the uk

the waves can get big and on those days you can get injured rocks and people and things all being pulled about i would not try to swim on those days most of the hotel pools are not that deep so you should be ok with them alot will depend on what time of the year you are going as to what the sea is like

Tees Valley
Level Contributor
13,760 posts
159 reviews
9. Re: Is the sea suitable for a none swimmer ?

I was there the same time as John and agree the waves were quite powerful. I found the seabed a bit uneven and struggled a few times to stay upright as the waves hit me. Plus the seaweed kept wrapping round my feet which freaked me out a bit! I kept imagining jelly fish! Eek! Trouble is, I was trying to keep my hair dry and it would have been fine if I'd just swam I reckon. It's a lovely beach generally though and seems very safe if you follow the safety rules.

Jules

10. Re: Is the sea suitable for a none swimmer ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, October 12, 2017
Get answers to your questions about Sunny Beach
Recent Conversations