We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunny Beach or Golden Sands?

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
122 posts
6 reviews
Sunny Beach or Golden Sands?

Hi

We are a couple in our late 50's thinking of going to Bulgaria for the first time. Our last few holidays have been to Turkey, Greece & Spain but fancy a change. We like to spend the day on the beach or by the pool & have a nice meal & a few drinks in the evening. Don't mind lively but not too lively!! Will Bulgaria suit us & if so which resort?

Thanks in advance

Heather x

Kilmarnock, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Sunny Beach, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
1,778 posts
68 reviews
1. Re: Sunny Beach or Golden Sands?

Yes Bulgaria would suit but I would suggest looking at Nessebar, Ravda, Pomorie, Sveti Vlas rather than Sunny Beach itself as you're still close enough to enjoy the best if both. Golden Sands is lovely as well and is based in the north but slightly more hilly, it also gives you easy access to Varna and Balchik

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
335 posts
1 review
2. Re: Sunny Beach or Golden Sands?

We used to go to Greece and Turkey until someone told us about Sunny Beach,what a difference,the beach alone is worth going to and its more friendlier,we wont be going back to Turkey or Greece that's for sure.We are going to Golden Sands this year up the coast a bit,still lovely beaches,just for a change.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
6,465 posts
137 reviews
3. Re: Sunny Beach or Golden Sands?

If I had to choose between Golden Sands and Sunny Beach it would definitely be Golden Sands. We first visited around 20 years ago and have gone back numerous times as we love it there. Didn't enjoy Sunny Beach quite as much. Balkan Holiday stopped their flight schedule from Edinburgh or Glasgow into Varna

which means flying into Bourgas and then a long coach transfer around 2 +hours. We don't fancy doing that journey but live in hope they will introduce Scottish flights again into Varna.

50 Dave - I am sure you will enjoy Golden Sands - its a great place to visit.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
185 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Sunny Beach or Golden Sands?

we are a couple in our 50's have tried both golden sands and sunny beach we prefer sunny beach there is very lively parts like flower street but there is also not so lively parts

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
3,003 posts
63 reviews
5. Re: Sunny Beach or Golden Sands?

going to sunny beach this year but i like golden sands but if you dont do hills golden sands is not for you but then again if you have hotel at the front and dont go far it is fine no hills on the beach front along the strip we are ion our 50s and we go ofton the people on the cafes ect remember us from last year we ask is the food good hear and and belive it or not they tell us the truth i also tell them that i will only eat here once as their is so many other places to vist and they are happy with that and dont ask me to go in again golden sands is lively in parts and not so in other parts but is more laid back than sunny beach just because its smaller and as someone has said you have got varna anyway whear ever you go golden sands or sunny beach i am sure you will enjoy

Nuneaton, United...
Destination Expert
for Sunny Beach, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
8,175 posts
45 reviews
6. Re: Sunny Beach or Golden Sands?

We too have done both resorts and my preference is for Sunny Beach. It's bigger than Golden Sands hence a bigger choice of accommodation, restaurants and bars. Very flat resort with 7km beach whereas GS is quite hilly.

SB is very vibrant but something for all and some nice quiet bars within easy reach of the main street. Another good thing about SB is it is very close to St.Vlas, Nessebar, Kosharitsa which are quieter yet only 1.20 Lev bus ride away to the main resort.

Here is some info on the resorts.

beachbulgaria.com/kosharitsa/…index_en.html

www.beachbulgaria.com/nessebar/index.shtml

www.beachbulgaria.com/svetivlas/index.shtml

Hope this helps

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
122 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Sunny Beach or Golden Sands?

Thanks very much for all your helpful replies.

We have just got back from our second time to Oludeniz in Turkey, which is beautiful, surrounded by mountains & loved watching the paragliders landing on the promenade but really not keen on the rocky/pebbly beach & the difficulty getting in & out of the sea!!

The beaches in Bulgaria look lovely! Also we can fly from Bristol, which is ideal for us.

Thanks again

Heather & Dave x

!

Kilmarnock
Level Contributor
23 posts
7 reviews
8. Re: Sunny Beach or Golden Sands?

A lot depends on when you are going. If you can go to Sunny Beach in September, May or June I would definitely favour Sunny Beach. There are a lot fewer teens and twenties around then. Sunny Beach has other advantages. It's flat, while Golden Sands is built on a hillside. You're more likely to get a much better deal in Sunny Beach as it's much larger. Sunny Beach is very close to Old and New Nessebar, both very worth visiting. The bus station in the heart of Sunny Beach has got good, cheap services to all over. ( buy tickets on the buses). If you go to Sunn Beach try visiting Nessebar (about 40p), Pomorie and Bourgas. Finally, Golden Sands, being much smaller, is always quieter than Sunny Beach.

2 posts
1 review
9. Re: Sunny Beach or Golden Sands?

I wondered which of the 2 but reading reviews beforehand said lots of Russians and Germans in GS but SB more for English and Irish. We came SB and its really good. Tour guides say GS same as SB but a lot more expensive. We were going to go for the day but were put off by what locals said about it. I think I made the right choice with SB!

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
3,003 posts
63 reviews
10. Re: Sunny Beach or Golden Sands?

well what did the locale say about GS it is a bit more exspensive but not much I was paying 2 lev for a beer their were buy one get one free on beers and pizzas you just had to shop around their are less brits not such a bad thing in the hotel I was at their were a large group from the USA nothing wrong with the Russians my boy made a lot of friends with Russians and others from the old easten block

Get answers to your questions about Sunny Beach
Recent Conversations