We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gossip

Which Sunny Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
499 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Gossip

when my wife and I were having a meal in a

restaurant in sunnybeach in July I made a comment to the owner about how people I had

Noticed eating in the restaurants with AI

bands on over the 2 weeks we were there

His first reply was to say thank god they don't serve good food in a lot of the AI hotels or

a lot of eating places would struggle to survive

he then told me not next year but the year after

a lot of the AI hotels would have to meet

certain new rules and regulations or they won't

be able to do AI

He said they would need to have certain size

swimming pools plus certain size bedrooms

and certain size eating facilities and a lot of

other new rules

He said a lot of the owners won't spend the

money to upgrade and will have to revert back

to other board types

I no I priced going for 2 weeks AI and it was far

expensive to do this than eat and drink out every night in the nice bars and restaurants I

just thought I would pass this bit of info on

Thanks Tigerti

Tees Valley
Level Contributor
11,388 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gossip

It's interesting you raise this Tigerti as I was sure I'd heard a similar thing about A/I restrictions on hotels. I found this article which people might find useful;

www.novinite.com/view_news.php?id=140017

Jules

Kilmarnock, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Sunny Beach, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
1,738 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gossip

Hi .

lets hope this happens as at the moment A/I is going to kill the restraunts and bars that are owned by the people who do not have hotels at the moment they are struggling to compete with A/I was far better even in the days of the meal vouchers.

Robbie.

Edited: 11:09 am, November 07, 2012
Nuneaton, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,736 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gossip

Have to agree that AI , if allowed to continue, will kill the resort and along with it a big chunk of the tourist trade. Very few hotels are worthy of AI status as can be seen by the number eating/drinking out in the restaurants and bars. I say use them or lose them,

North Wales
Destination Expert
for Sunny Beach
Level Contributor
6,504 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gossip

Interesting topic Tigerti. Lets hope that there is some truth in what you've heard, but I am a firm believer that you may have been told whatever the restaurant owner wanted to believe himself.

AI is killing local bars and restaurants all over Europe. I am also a regular visitor to Gran Canaria (will be going over Xmas and New Year again for a 6 week stay), and its the same there., Bars and restaurants in the resorts are struggling and closing down. There was talk there about 3/4 years ago that only 4+star hotels would be allowed to go AI, but still more and more hotels going down that route.

Darlington
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gossip

Ive always gone AI for other benefits NOT the meals and spent time in the wonderful restaurants in the resort. Even if there were guidelines put in place, I think (like the smoking ban) that these would be either ignored or worked around. However the swimming pool issue would be a concern as it happened to me this year (the hotel pool was demolished and we werent sure if it would be replaced) It was, however the pool area was practically turned into a beach with all the sand so wasnt as good. I think If more hotels go AI, it wont harm the other restaurants as the hotels will NEVER be able to provide food up to the standard for what they charge for staying there. Plus it will be a boost for apartments and hotels offering other boards. Sunny Beach is renound for the outstanding eating places and as its still so cheap I dont think it will suffer. People flock to them not just for the food, but for the staff, atmosphere and the decent prices.

Nuneaton, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,736 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gossip

Unfortunately, AI in Bulgaria is not up to the standard of other long established countries. Very few have evening entertainment, very limited drinks and lots are just trying to jump on a bandwagon.

Evrika and Iberostar get very good write ups but lots of others have been slaughtered on this forum.

I noticed a big difference in the resort this year and a lot of decent restaurants were empty and struggling for custom and others like Infinity closed down.

I really do hope there is some truth in the news of curtailment otherwise SB will end up like Albena.

Tees Valley
Level Contributor
11,388 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gossip

I agree Toonman (trust you are well). I can see the attraction in some countries/resorts for A/I particularly if general prices are high or there's security issues. But I struggle to understand the attraction in S/B.

I've heard people say that they find they can get A/I for the same price as H/B or even S/C but it's difficult to know how that's done without compromising quality on food, drinks and entertainment in those hotels. Is that really possible?

And why would people pay the A/I rate then choose to eat and drink elsewhere? There's disturbing reading about the general effect on A/I on local businesses in every country and it's reported that A/I visitors only spend 10% of their total spend outside of the hotels. It's killing the bars and restaurants that make the resorts what they are. And people seem to accept that hotel food in S/B isn't generally brilliant so why pay for more of it?

Some A/I hotels elsewhere have introduced a 'Dine a Round' type system so guests can choose to use local restaurants and they get a share of the business. Personally I don't even understand why hotels want people there all the time. I know they must have costed it out but it must be heavy on general wear and tear/staffing etc.

Jules

Level Contributor
499 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gossip

I totally agree what Toonman says about AI

in Bulgaria If I was going to the likes of Spain

with 2or 3 kids then I would think about AI

but never in Bulgaria I have stayed in the

Mena Palace twice before it went AI but would

not pay the extra to go AI as I said in my earlier

Forum I priced going AI 2 of them were the 2

Toonman mentions nearly fell of the chair

when I seen the price stayed in the Palace HB

I reviewed this hotel under hotel reviews

Ate out a lot and a good drink every night met

some really nice people brought money home

Still did not cost anything like what it would

going Ai I hope the mena palace reverts back

to B andB or HB loveley hotel and great location

TIP for anyone thinking of going to Bulgaria

get a Balkans brochure and read all about the

star ratings and customs at the back of the

brochure then pick your hotel and read the reviews on TRIP Advisor

ALL the best Tigerti

PS got my TA luggage label this morning

Kilmarnock, Scotland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,738 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gossip

HI .

just read the post about dine around this takes me back to the firrst couple of times we went to sunnybeach at the time when you arrived at the airport when the rep met you they gave you an envelope with meal vouchers in it and you could use them in any of the hotels or restraunts and bars and believe it or not the vouchers lasted till into the second week of the stay when you had to start spending your own money. sounds a bit like dine around.and this was 23 years ago only things you could not use them for were excursions or kids club payments.

Robbie

Edited: 8:19 pm, November 08, 2012
Tees Valley
Level Contributor
11,388 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gossip

Hi Stefburgas, I know it was done for different reasons back then but it sounds like a very appealing scheme. I'm sure the A/I hotels might not be so keen to share their profits these days but even if guests were given vouchers to use a couple of times in a week's stay at resort restaurants, it would help and I think customers would enjoy it.

After all A/I visitors always insist they still eat out a few times and I don't blame them. This 'enclave style of holidaying' must be boring after a while.

Jules

Get answers to your questions about Sunny Beach