We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Bulgeria Gay/ Lesbian Friendly

Level Contributor
4 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Is Bulgeria Gay/ Lesbian Friendly

My daughter and her girlfriend are considering Bulgaria for a summer holiday and are wondering is it safe for Gay Couples? Are there many Gay bars?

13 replies to this topic
Ipswich
Destination Expert
for Sunny Beach
Level Contributor
3,835 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Bulgeria Gay/ Lesbian Friendly

Yes Bulgaria is gay friendly, we took a gay couple with us and had no issues at all. I think there may be the odd gay bar but not entirely sure where, you may be able to find some information on here by using the search button as this topic has come up before. But yes no problems whatsoever, nothing to worry about.

Level Contributor
232 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Bulgeria Gay/ Lesbian Friendly

Yes youll have no bother at all the resort is friendly towards everyone . I personally havent seen any gay bars but im sure theres one somewhere. They will have no issues at all

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
2,828 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Bulgeria Gay/ Lesbian Friendly

Bulgaria is pretty much friendly to all but just remember that there are a lot of people on holiday not from Bulgaria and some may not be friendly same as here in the uk

Ayr, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Bulgeria Gay/ Lesbian Friendly

I'm sure I have seen a couple of places with rainbows over the door.

Tees Valley
Level Contributor
13,515 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Bulgeria Gay/ Lesbian Friendly

We stay at the Barcelo Beach and apparently one of the few gay bars in the resort is attached to the hotel. It's called the Sunrise (if it's still operating) but has always looked very quiet when we've passed by there,

There's no big gay scene as such in Sunny Beach but it's a friendly, accepting resort and I can't see any problems. It is however important to point out that a few years ago, Bulgaria was voted in the bottom three gay accepting destinations in Europe mainly because it's a very conservative country with strong religious views. There does seem to be a decent gay scene in Sofia however and much campaigning to change attitudes. The Govt. advice website advises against open displays of affection to ensure personal safety.

I'm sure they'll have a great time there even though it's not specifically geared up to the gay community like other resorts.

They might be miffed about you misspelling Bulgaria however! Lol :-)

Jules

Level Contributor
4 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Bulgeria Gay/ Lesbian Friendly

Thank you all for your feedback - it is much appreciated. I'm not sure they will want to be secretive about who they are especially after fighting so hard for their rights in Ireland 2 years ago!! - I did read the Government Page alright. I was only in Bulgaria once about 32 years ago and it was very nice but not at all commercialized then. Thanks for pointing out my typo Jules!!

Douglas, United...
Level Contributor
309 posts
783 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Bulgeria Gay/ Lesbian Friendly

Few gay bars in Bulgaria. Those in Sofia are commercial and seem gang controlled and rather "rent". Bulgaria still does not have civil partnerships or gay marriage. Church is openly hostile as are right wingers, the equivalent of EDL and Britain First. There were serious disturbances at last years Sofia Pride march.

That being said and done my partner and I have been going for 10 years to Bansko and Pomorie and Sofia and have had no issues, no one has batted an eyelid about us sharing rooms, holding hands or obviously being together.

Sometimes going and being "normal" and open about your sexuality can help the local LGBT community.

Edited: 10:35 am, April 24, 2017
8. Re: Is Bulgeria Gay/ Lesbian Friendly

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:35 pm, April 24, 2017

Douglas, United...
Level Contributor
309 posts
783 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Bulgeria Gay/ Lesbian Friendly

That is very unpleasant, far from accurate in my experience and from my discussions with my Bulgarian friends, both as to history, racial purity and attitudes.

Burgas, Bulgaria
Destination Expert
for Sunny Beach, Bansko
Level Contributor
1,515 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Bulgeria Gay/ Lesbian Friendly

As usual there is 20% facts and 80% nonsense in the post Yasen wrote, I`m certainly not an expert on the subject for sure, but this is my 11th year living here and certainly local people don`t seem to like open displays of affection, it`s generally not a subject that`s discussed often, especially in the press, however, it`s a safe and tolerant country and most things are fine here,, but just like any foreign country, be sensitive to local people and the culture and you will be just fine.

Reply to: Is Bulgeria Gay/ Lesbian Friendly
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sunny Beach
Recent Conversations