We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

turtles

west yorkshire
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
turtles

I was watching a tv program the other night and it featured a turtle sanctuary. I would love to visit but cant remember where it was any ideas?

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: turtles

The programme featured several places but I assume that the location you're thinking of, is the Turtle Preservation Beach at Rekawa.

Rekawa is near to Tangalle, which is about half way along the south coast.

To get there, is either a train to Matara and taxi or bus from there or if you're using a car then direct to Rekawa with the car.

Last time I was there, the charge per person was 300 rupees . you need to arrive about 8 or 9 pm then you are invited into their office, ( a small hut ), instructed on the preservation and life cycle etc of the turtles and then taken to the beach where you remain , very quietly until one of the guardian ( ex fishermen ) spots, and taks you to where a turtle is coming ashore to lay her eggs.

It's a great experience .. Take a hotel towel or something dark coloured and warm to wrap up in.

You are not supposed to wear anything light coloured and definitely , no torches.

I't's not quitre like they showed it on the TV .. no infra red , which they used to film but still a great experience.

Rod.

west yorkshire
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: turtles

Thank you rod i'm more excited at the thought of seeing turtles now hope to vist the elephants also going mid october so i hope there's plenty of chances

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: turtles

hello again,

Well, mid October isn't the best time for turtle watching but there's always some around at any time of year. so, I wish you luck.

Another turtle tip.

If you go to Hikkaduwa,, in the main town centre, the coast adjacent is the fishing harbour.

If you walk down the Galle road a little way, literally 5 minutes, you'll see openings on your right giving access to the beach which is inside the reef, so reasonably sheltered.

Further along the road there's many miles of side , clean beaches but the sea is quite often rough out there.

Right, back to the reef sheltered beach.

On the beach, walk to the far eastern end of the beach and you'll see the reef comes right into the shore.

Walk into the sea just there, As the reef joins the beach it's very rocky but there are channels of sand running out between the rocks.

You ca stand in about 5 feet of water, and if you're patient and keep watching, you'll have turtles swimming very close to you as they swiim around grazing the sea weed on the rocks.

I've spent quite a few happy days in there . If thr water is calm a snorkel and mask is great you can watch them or just swim along with them. You get a variety there, some small ones but I've swum alonside some about 4 feet long, 3 feet wide and standing they'd be close to 3 feet high.

They're not shy and sometimes seem quite inquisitive swimming right up to your legs and using their flippers to push away from you.

You'll find them other places as well but this place I've watched played around them at several different times of the year and always found at least 3 or 4 there.

Rod.

4. Re: turtles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:25 am, September 05, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Waikkal
Recent Conversations