We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Negombo anyone? Travelling 14/02/07

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Negombo anyone? Travelling 14/02/07

Sorry this is short notice but my holiday company called me over the weekend and told me the hotel I'd booked (Browns Beach/Negombo) had no room so have put us in the Hotel Club Dolphin/Waikkal instead.

What I'm concerened about is that I picked Browns Beach, despite some dodg reveiews, because the advice on this site was that there were pleny of bars outside.

This does not seem to be the cases at Waikkal. Anyone got any info re this area or how easy it might be to get into Negombo at night? We have been given £50:00 each for our troubles so have a taxi kitty if requered

Cheers

Mentioned in this post
Negombo
Negombo
Western Province, Sri Lanka
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
59,323 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Negombo anyone? Travelling 14/02/07

Hi there,

Waikkal is about 5 km north of main Negombo town. So that's around Rs 100 (50 pence) one-way daytime, possibly a bit more at night. Seems well feasible to go out to the bar district a few evenings a week with this extra budget...

Have fun,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Negombo anyone? Travelling 14/02/07

Cheers Erik

What sort of hours do these do these guys operate on?

I'm just going on experiences in Nortjh GOA where I could still easily get a tuc tuc at 1:00 in the morning

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
59,323 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Negombo anyone? Travelling 14/02/07

Hi again,

Same in Lanka. 24 hours for sure, esp. in city centres! And generally at least 1 - 2 will be on 'sleep duty' near the entrance of any tourist hotel, same as Goa...

Have fun,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Negombo anyone? Travelling 14/02/07

Many thanks again Erik.. That's alayed most of my fears that although the hotels appears to be nice it was a bit of a gilded cage

Surrey
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Negombo anyone? Travelling 14/02/07

Hi corum,

I have just returned from Dolphin last Sunday...and we were going to be at Brown's but they couldn't get a booking for the whole week.

To be honest Negombo town wasn't that exciting - having said that we were there the Monday after independence weekend so apparently everyone was partied out.

However, opposite hotel Dolphin there is a place called Canal Garden, I recommend you go there to eat...see my review...

oh yes and there's the hotel nightclub that could be happening if you have the right crowd staying at the hotel. We partied with Lala and Kumar, the animators (entertainers at the hotel) . If you want a good cocktail go to Jackson (barman), he knows his stuff - oh and please say hi from James Bond and Miss India...our nicnames while we were there.

Have fun - the people are lovely

Tanazy

xx

Mentioned in this post
Shropshire
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Negombo anyone? Travelling 14/02/07

Hey Tanazy, just wandering was there an animator there called Pali. I recently went to Club hotel dolphin and kept in touch with him however unfortunately lost contact. So was wandering if he was stil there. Oh and also is Shami still there.

Hope you had a great time at Club hotel Dolphin

Cindi x

Mentioned in this post
Club Hotel Dolphin
Club Hotel Dolphin
2,490 Reviews
Waikkal, Sri Lanka
Surrey
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Negombo anyone? Travelling 14/02/07

Hello,

Yes Pali was there still.

Hope yu manage to get back in contact

Tanazy

8. Re: Getting to Negombo anyone? Travelling 14/02/07

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 am, August 25, 2009