We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best & quickest way to travel from Pemba to Mozambique Islnd

Dublin
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best & quickest way to travel from Pemba to Mozambique Islnd

Hi,

My fiance and I will be travelling to Mozambique in August. We wanted to travel to Mozambique Island for a few days and were wondering what was the best way to travel to and from Mozambique Island from Pemba? Time is an issue so we're looking to minimise the travel time involved.

We'd appreciate any suggestions on the best way to go about this.

Thanks...

5 replies to this topic
Monkey Bay
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best & quickest way to travel from Pemba to Mozambique Islnd

Do be careful on a kilometer run, rather stop smell the flowers and feel the true heart beat. On web site www.pembadivecamp.com go to “Getting There” details on flights, overnight routes, road conditions, distance and times available, including Ilha de Mocambique. For more info on the North you can go to “Site Map” and then to “Ibo Island and Map of Quirimbas Archipelago Islands” this will give you detailed info.

Pretoria
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best & quickest way to travel from Pemba to Mozambique Islnd

Goodness Freestylefeet, can you now stop advertising Pemba dive camp? You have advertised this on every single posting you could lay your hands on?

Don't you think it is a bit much???

Edited: 8:43 am, February 22, 2011
Monkey Bay
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best & quickest way to travel from Pemba to Mozambique Islnd

Correct it is the only that WEBSITE has made an effort in giving a lot of information for travelers. Why go search for information when it is all there in a nutshell? Travelling from Tanzania, Malawi, Zimbabwe, South Africa through Mozambique by air, bus, road and train. I found this website saved a lot of time.

Plus you will find map on the Quirimbas Islands and where to stay, medical advice for travelers and lots more information. If you can recommend a better website with so much information for a traveler please do.

Let’s focus on the help of saving time and sharing positive information.

Do have a great journey.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
3 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best & quickest way to travel from Pemba to Mozambique Islnd

PEMBA IS THE MOST DISORGANIZED AIRPORT I HAVE EVER FLOWN THROUGH. THE FLIGHT TIMES THAT THEY GIVE YOU ARE USUALLY OUT BY SEVERAL HOURS. You need a full day to get through Pemba to the islands and a full day to get back as you need to fly through Maputo. Count on losing a full day on either side, even if they give you flights and flight times in and out of Pemba. We were rushed out of our hotel early in the morning and sat waiting for many hours at Pemba. By lunch time, other guests of our hotel arrived at the airport to catch the same flight. Don't believe what they tell you, they have limited capacity to get tourists to their islands and will always give you attractive times that they have no intention of honouring. I have been 3 times and will never fly through Pemba again - it is not worth the frustration.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best & quickest way to travel from Pemba to Mozambique Islnd

Fastest way would be flying to Nampula and going on from there. A decent tour operator should be able to put together the logistics for you. You can visit Ilha de Moçambique from a couple of the luxury lodges in the area. I would suggest you keep a close eye on the FCO advice for Nampula province before booking this.

Alternatively, if you're short on time, I often suggest to my clients that they go to somewhere like Ibo, which though not on the scale of Ilha de Moçambique has a lovely old fashioned feel, plenty of culture, and is much easier to get to from Pemba.

Re: Pemba Airport- this does depend on the airline rather than the airport itself. As T347A says, some airlines can be very hit or miss. Some are more reliable/reputable than others. Your tour operator will be able to advise on this. I had no problems whatseover when I visited and have never had clients inconvenienced by airlines which have a known track record of reliability.

Alexandra Matts- MD- Extraordinary Africa

Reply to: Best & quickest way to travel from Pemba to Mozambique Islnd
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Quirimbas Archipelago
More Quirimbas Archipelago Topics