We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Motel Near Bus Line, Amtrak, and UND

Which Grand Forks hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
177 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Motel Near Bus Line, Amtrak, and UND

I've concocted a wicked plan that needs a little help. I bought a UND hockey ticket for a January Friday game. I drop in on Grand Forks from Amtrak (at, yes, about 1 am if everything is running smoothly) prior to this, and I leave for Minneapolis on Amtrak at (hopefully) the same time just a handful of hours after the game.

Having already map-gazed, I figure I'm taking a taxi from the station to a motel, I'd like to take a bus downtown during the day, and hope against hope that I have easy transport back to Amtrak after the game (I'm guessing taxi, of course).

I have a good coat for the likely weather, and I don't think twice about walking a couple miles from point to point when necessary. Are the streets between the freeway motels and the campus walkable that time of year? In that area, are any of the motels near one of the local bus routes (or stops)?

Restaurant recommendations during the day and early evening are encouraged, of course.

In advance, thank you.

North Dakota
Level Contributor
602 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Motel Near Bus Line, Amtrak, and UND

There was just an article in the paper about how often the Amtrak train is late, so good luck on the times! The train stop is on Demers which is a good thoroughfare. But to do what you'd like to do, I would suggest getting hotel either by the University, the mall or even downtown. Then you'll have access to good restaurants and bus stops. The closest to the train stop and UND will be the line of hotels along 42nd. The Hilton Garden Inn is very nice. My dad stayed at the Econo Lodge but that was more years ago than I care to admit when I attended school there. There are also a Ramada and Howard Johnson there. There are a few restaurants and while still a hike to the hockey arena. I have walked University to class from the apartments there when I attended. Canad Inns has a complex by the like civic center that's newer.

By the mall, there are tons of hotels and restaurants and things to do as well as bus routes. This is generally the area around 32nd and Columbia ave.

The Guest House is downtown. Unless you really want to be downtown for some reason, I don't think its really a choice you'd prefer.

Watford City, North...
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Motel Near Bus Line, Amtrak, and UND

I had never heard about this thing before. Thanks for shairng such a nice information with us.

3. Re: Motel Near Bus Line, Amtrak, and UND

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, January 21, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Grand Forks