We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Wake Forest - which airport best

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
106 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Visiting Wake Forest - which airport best

My daughter and I are visiting Wake Forest in March. Flying Jet Blue - so we can go into either Raleigh - Durham or Charlotte. Which is the better/easier drive. I understand that RDU is about 2 hours and CLT is about 90 minutes. Thanks !

Mentioned in this post
Raleigh
Raleigh
North Carolina
Durham
Durham
North Carolina
Charlotte
Charlotte
North Carolina
North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Wake Forest - which airport best

CLT is much closer. GSO (Greensboro) is even closer than CLT.

Mentioned in this post
Greensboro
Greensboro
North Carolina
North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Wake Forest - which airport best

Jet Blue doesn't fly to GSO (you already knew that but I wanted to correct my previous post).

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Wake Forest - which airport best

Charlotte will be an easier drive, but Raleigh isn't a bad drive either. I would go with whichever is cheaper. If they're the same price, go with Charlotte.

Mentioned in this post
Charlotte
Charlotte
North Carolina
Raleigh
Raleigh
North Carolina
Winston-Salem, NC
Level Contributor
250 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Wake Forest - which airport best

Flying into Charlotte will save you about 20-30 minutes driving time, depending on traffic. It generally takes me ~1 3/4 hrs to get to RDU, a little under 1 1/2 to CLT in normal driving conditions.

They're both pretty much straight shots, with 4 lane (or more) divided highway traffic the whole way from either airport.

Mentioned in this post
Charlotte
Charlotte
North Carolina
New Hampshire
Level Contributor
106 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Wake Forest - which airport best

Thank you for the info - never been to North Carolina before. My daughter decided to visit UNC too, so we will fly into RDU and stay a couple of days then head over to Winston Salem. Long range weather looks better than what we have been having in the northeast. Thanks !!

Mentioned in this post
North Carolina
North Carolina
United States
Winston Salem
Winston Salem
North Carolina
Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
3,012 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Wake Forest - which airport best

Great Decision! UNC is a wonderful school, and the campus beautiful. Please let us know if you need any suggestions for your visit to UNC Chapel Hill and surrounding area.

I'm a UNC wife and mom; I've spent a lot of time in and around campus and town.........if I could do over, that's where I'd go to college!. :)

Mentioned in this post
Chapel Hill
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
New Hampshire
Level Contributor
106 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Wake Forest - which airport best

Thanks !! I'd love a suggestion for dinner - pub style, salads & light fare. We are looking at law schools - so my daughter is of age - thanks !!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Wake Forest - which airport best

A popular place overlooking Franklin St. in Chapel Hill:

http://topofthehillrestaurant.com/

Mentioned in this post
Franklin
Franklin
Tennessee
Chapel Hill
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
Winston-Salem, NC
Level Contributor
250 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Wake Forest - which airport best

Ah, WFU and UNC, both good choices. I attended UNC law myself (after WFU undergrad, oddly enough), though it was many a year ago, back before they had built the new law library. In these times it's tough to beat the bargain UNC offers as a state institution, eh.

In Chapel Hill another good pub choice is Spanky's, right across Franklin Street from Top of the Hill. It used to be a grad student hangout back in the day, though I couldn't say whether it is nowadays.

In Winston there are several solid pub choices-Finnegan's Wake, 1st Street Draft House, Village Tavern @ Reynolda Village, Hutch & Harris, Diamondback Cafe. Diamondback and Village Tavern used to be the main grad student hangouts by virtue of their proximity to WFU-dunno if they still are, but nowadays Finnegan's seems to draw a big WFU crowd downtown (could be the "Wake" allusion, could be the solid food and draft choices, I dunno).

1st St Draft House is also fairly convenient to campus-good sandwiches and their habanero wings are tough to beat. Village Tavern is a great choice when you can sit out on the patio and enjoy a warm spring or fall afternoon-their crab dip is top notch as a starter. 4th Street Filling Station would also creep onto my list for a sunny afternoon on their patio-top patio in town, imo.

Mentioned in this post
Chapel Hill
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
Franklin
Franklin
Tennessee
New Hampshire
Level Contributor
106 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Wake Forest - which airport best

thanks for the great ideas - all sound wonderful. We leave Wednesday - trip was pushed up for tours - hard to think of doing outside activities while we have 2 feet of snow in our yard - I thought I would take advantage of warmer weather and do a tour of the Duke Gardens - any other suggestions.