We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memorial Day Weekend 2011 - what's best to do please?

Sheffield
Level Contributor
5,193 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
Memorial Day Weekend 2011 - what's best to do please?

We are visitors from the UK and are booked in an hotel in Winston Salem on the Friday and Saturday of Memorial Day Weekend 2011.

What will give us the best flavour of the area please?

11. Re: Memorial Day Weekend 2011 - what's best to do please?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:35 pm, February 04, 2011
Sheffield
Level Contributor
5,193 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Memorial Day Weekend 2011 - what's best to do please?

I think that 'twink' must be peculiar to the US...not known here. Thanks for the thought though.

Winston-Salem, NC
Level Contributor
250 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Memorial Day Weekend 2011 - what's best to do please?

Lately the downtown summer music series hasn't kicked off until the 1st week of June. As I recall they used to kick it off in May a while back, but for the last few years they haven't cranked up until June. Probably because of funding issues, if I had to guess.

They haven't posted a 2011 schedule yet though. Here's their link if you want to check periodically:

http://www.dwsp.org/music/index.php

Regardless, there will undoubtedly be numerous musical events on Trade Street that weekend. Ziggy's will probably have reopened at their new location on Trade and 8th by then, and The Garage and Elliott's Revue (both on the corner of Trade and 7th) will almost assuredly have musical acts booked as well.

Ziggy's tended to draw a younger, more bohemian crowd back when it was open up around the university, but The Garage and Elliott's both tend to draw a more diverse crowd agewise so you probably wouldn't feel uncomfortable there. The owner of Elliott's herself is an older hippie who decorated most of her bar with thrift shop art finds (she's an expert thrift shop bargain finder). I often see older hippies and rockabillys hanging out at both Elliott's and The Garage.

Finnegan's Wake, an Irish-style pub, and Sixth & Vine, a wine gastropub which typically caters to a 30ish crowd, will also most likely be offering musical entertainment. Since they're restaurants the setting will likely be a little more sedate than either Elliott's or the Garage, with Finnegan's usually offering some kind of acoustic entertainment, but people have been known to throw down and boogie at Sixth & Vine events.

If you're headed to any of those venues on Trade Street you should probably also pop in to have a drink at Silver Moon, a former sister dive bar to Elliott's, where there's usually a lively little crowd (and when I say little I mean little, the bar only holds ~20 people max comfortably but that's part of its charm), and Single Brothers across the street, which makes good handcrafted drinks, as you do the "Trade Street Shuffle".

Mentioned in this post
Ziggy's
Ziggy's
12 Reviews
Winston Salem, NC
Sixth & Vine
Sixth & Vine
165 Reviews
Winston Salem, NC
Single Brothers
Single Brothers
13 Reviews
Winston Salem, NC
North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Memorial Day Weekend 2011 - what's best to do please?

Since you're English you should drive over to nearby Greensboro to visit Guilford Courthouse National Park where the Earl of Cornwallis and his Redcoats won a Pyrrhic victory over Nathanael Greene and the rebels before heading off to Yorktown where...oh well, you know the rest.

If you see a portly old gent walking a black Labrador give me a wave!

http://www.nps.gov/guco/index.htm

Mentioned in this post
Greensboro
Greensboro
North Carolina
Sheffield
Level Contributor
5,193 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Memorial Day Weekend 2011 - what's best to do please?

If you see a portly old gent walking without a lab...wave to me.

Did you get independence in the end? They tell us that the UK is the 51st state so maybe it's the other way round now.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Memorial Day Weekend 2011 - what's best to do please?

Hahaha...I thought Canada was our 51st state!

NC
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Memorial Day Weekend 2011 - what's best to do please?

I agree 100% with all of the Old Salem suggestions. You "have" to go there!

Have you considered strawberry picking? We enjoy local produce when we travel both continentally and overseas. I know that seems a bit strange as a tourist idea, but up on Reynolda Road there is a location called The Children's Home (http://www.tchome.org/StrawberryPatch.html). It began as a home for orphans but presently provides care for many with mental health issues. They have a fairly large farm, and one of the fundraisers they do is opening the strawberry patch to the public to pick. There are plenty of other locations for picking if this one does not suit you. Just make sure that sometime when you are here you have some ripe, NC strawberries!

18. Re: Memorial Day Weekend 2011 - what's best to do please?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 pm, May 29, 2014