We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit to WFU

Roanoke, VA
Level Contributor
178 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Visit to WFU

My son (a rising high school senior) and I will be visiting WFU in a couple of weeks. Any advice on this including where to stay? Thanks in advance.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
347 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit to WFU

Hi rbw. I live near WS and would be glad to help. Are you interested in staying near the university or would you prefer to be near the historical district (one of the primary attractions in Winston Salem is the excellent Old Salem area) or would you prefer to be near the major mall area? A general idea of what range budget you want would also help.

GO DEACS!

Roanoke, VA
Level Contributor
178 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit to WFU

Thanks Fong. We really are most interested in location to WFU and comfort. The price isn't the big issue, but I have no need to be taken advantage of... I also went to WFU twice, once in the 70's and later in the 80's, but would appreciate your suggestions! GO DEACS!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
347 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit to WFU

I am glad to hear you are a Deacon, too! Since you generally know the area you probably are aware that what accomodations are close to WFU are largely chains and have little charm or unique qualities. On the other hand, we do have some very nice restaurants within a short drive of campus.

The chains are primarily on University Parkway between the campus entrance and the Colisieum. The Holiday Inn Select and the Embassy Suites are both fine and very convenient. Graylyn Estate just opposite Reynolda Gardens offers some limited and rather pricey accomodations as well. You might check with the Admissions bureau to see if any of these offer special rates to WFU visitors.

For casual lunch try Simply Yummy or the Village Tavern in Reynolda Village at the Gardens. For a special dinner out 1703 on the corner of Robinhood and Reynolda is very good. A mid priced excellent meal can be had at Bleu on Frontis Plaza Drive near Hanes Mall BLVD.

GO DEACS!

Roanoke, VA
Level Contributor
178 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit to WFU

Thanks. Sounds great. We'll check it out!

Roanoke, VA
Level Contributor
178 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit to WFU

Cmcfong,

Would you be so kind as to remind me of the name of the motel that is across from the old holiday inn on Cherry Street. I believe it was a Comfort Inn several years ago, but may have changed hands...

Thanks!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
347 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visit to WFU

I am sorry, I didn't see your post till this morning. I think the hotel to which you refer is the Courtyard by Marriott at 3111 University Pkwy. Phone is 336-727-1277

Roanoke, VA
Level Contributor
178 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visit to WFU

Got it. Thanks!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
347 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visit to WFU

Enjoy your visit. GO DEACS!

9. Re: Visit to WFU

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:20 am, August 17, 2009