We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for a Brit please?

London, United...
Level Contributor
168 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for a Brit please?

Hello everyone.

If anyone has 5 minutes I'd be grateful for some advice!

We have never been to North Carolina before and for some reason I have always wanted to go.

I will be flying in to Washington or Philadelphia next year, end of March and wanted to visit.

I think it's about 5 hours drive or so.

Could you point me in the right direction of what areas to stay.

I have a 12 and 10 Yearold plus a wife who unfortunately likes to shop as well!

We love the beach (not sure what the weather will be like then!).

Any tips/advice you can give me, I would be very grateful.

Cheers

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,524 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for a Brit please?

I have only been to Wilmington a few times and not for extended stays, but I will try to help.

I believe 5 to 6 hour drive is about right, depending on traffic.

Wilimington is a beautiful historic city that offers different types of shopping, aquarium, and nice nearby beaches.

In March the weather will most likley be too chilly for a full day on the beach, and much too cold for swimming. But you may get some sunny warm days for a nice beach stroll and photos.

I hope this helps you to get started.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,746 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for a Brit please?

If you're doing Washington you might want to check out the Outer Banks instead of coming all the way down to Wilmington. That area is a little bit closer (still 5 hrs, Wilmington would be 6 and change). There are a lot of things to see and do there in the OBX although March would not be prime tourist season. You can still visit the Wright Brothers Memorial and Jockey's Ridge State Park (home of the giant sand dune named Jockey's Ridge). You can also see the NC Aquarium at Roanoke Island and visit the museums and other attractions there www.roanoke-island.com/attractions.html .

Philadelphia is about 9 hrs from Wilmington. Google maps gives good times and directions.

The weather in NC is extremely variable in the spring and fall. Today in October it's about 55F/13C and yesterday it was 85F/30C. We have similar swings in March. Sometimes it snows in March and sometimes it's t-shirts and shorts weather. You just never know.

If you specifically want to visit NC (or SC, Charleston is beautiful) you might want to check out flights into RDU (Raleigh Durham NC) or Charlotte (CLT).

Wilmington
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for a Brit please?

Historic Wilmington and the beaches of Carolina, Kure and Wrightsville are a year round destination. There is always something to do in the area for all ages. Your children will most likely enjoy the NC Aquarium, Battleship NC, Cape Fear Museum and Ghost Walk! And you, as well. There's lots of shopping in the area, from the boutiques in historic Wilmington, Independence Mall in mid-town to unique complexes such as Mayfaire, Lumina Station and the Forum near Wrightsville Beach. Also, the three beaches have their own shopping areas. Lots of great restaurants, too. If you view the web site for visitors - http://www.wilmingtonandbeaches.com/, you can find lots of information for accommodations, attractions and tours and events. Hope this helps!

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
352 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for a Brit please?

I live in Wilmington and its a great lil historical/beach town. Give me some ideas on what it is you like to do Cash and I can give better advice about where to go and what to do. I also agree if you have the time to hit up Charleston, SC which is a straight shot down 17 south about 3 1/2 hrs away you should do so. It is beautiful and so romantic, with lots more to do.

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
302 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for a Brit please?

The advantage to Wilmington over the Outer Banks is Wilmington is far enough south that it will be warmer.

There are carriage rides in the historic district and a river taxi over to the USS North Carolina battleship tour. The kids would also enjoy the aquarium at Fort Fisher south of Carolina Beach, not far from Wilmington. There is an art museum, Cape Fear Museum and a children's museum but the children's might be too young for your kids.

For shopping the downtown has independent shops and Mayfaire has a nice selection of nationally known US stores along with some restaurants and a large cinema.

6. Re: Advice for a Brit please?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, December 14, 2013