We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which beach is for us?

Virginia
Level Contributor
318 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Which beach is for us?

I just posted this to the Ocean Isle forum, but now found there is a separate one for Wilmington. Please excuse my duplicate posting if you are reading both forums.

I am in the process of researching a May 2011 vacation to the Wilmington area. My husband and I want to stay for about 4 nights on a quiet beach (ocean front location), then move inland somewhere to visit Wilmington and Southport and possibly a little further away--New Bern. I would like some suggestions as to which beach might be best (quiet, not too commercial). My preference was Ocean Isle, but I just read a lot of negative reviews about the Winds, which is where I had thought of staying. Also someone posted comments in the forums about the east end of Ocean Isle not being as nice as the west end. I am also considering Oak Island, but I guess any of the Wilmington beaches would be ok. I just don't know anything about any of them. Could someone give me a general idea of how these beaches compare: Carolina, Kure, Wrightsville, Oak Island and Ocean Isle.

Thanks so much for your help. It may help you to know that we love Nags Head, especially south NH, and dislike places like Myrtle Beach and Virginia Beach.

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
290 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which beach is for us?

Stay on Wrightsville Beach, you are only about 10 minutes from downtown Wilmington. We have stayed at the Sunspree Resort in the past and have always found it to be very nice.

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
2 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which beach is for us?

I too would recommend Wrightsville Beach. The Sunspree is probably the nicest hotel, but the Blockade Runner is also good. There are also some non-chain suite hotels and a number of condo rentals. We now live in Wilmington, but spent time twice on Wrightsville Beach before moving here. There are many good places to eat in and around WB, but it is still a family beach without the rides, mini-golf, etc. associated with Myrtle. I cannot compare it to Ocean Isle as I have only driven through there and am prejudiced toward Wrightsville. One caveat, I would not book early May, because that is college graduation in this area. This can also be a problem at the other area beaches.

3. Re: Which beach is for us?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, April 04, 2011