We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend in Wilmington

Which Wilmington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Georgia
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Topic
Weekend in Wilmington

Going to visit my son who lives in Wilmington. Need recommendations for hotel in downtown to be close to activities or should I opt for the beach hotels?

Thanks!

luv2go76
Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend in Wilmington

I've only been there once for a day, but I would suggest staying downtown or close to it. It is nice to be able to just walk around, and not worry about taking a cab or anything. There is also a free trolley that takes you around downtown. The bed and breakfasts are charming and would be nice if your going alone.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
60 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend in Wilmington

There are only 2 "hotels" in downtown. You have either the Hilton or the Best Western to choose from. There are quite a few bed and breakfasts or Inns downtown if you'd rather go with one of those.

Georgia
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend in Wilmington

I have been reading reviews and Hilton seems to be the place to stay but some reviews mention it being a bad area and not to be out after dark. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Maybe we should stay at the beach or further from downtown.

Virginia
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend in Wilmington

Consider staying in the Mayfaire Town Center area. It is new and there are lots of restaurants, shops and a movie theater. Check out their website to see if this would be of interest to you. My family and I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn last weekend. We did have a car, but the area is walkable.

Across a large road from the Mayfaire area is The Forum (www.shoptheforum.com). More restaurants and some boutiques. I believe the Residence Inn is closer to this community.

wilmington, nc
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend in Wilmington

I would recommend staying in Downtown. Being able to walk to restaurants and stroll around checking out shops is an advantage over worrying about driving and parking. That Riverside Hilton is not in a bad area, i've lived downtown for many years. But, from what i hear from friends who have had family stay there is that it is a dump. I would stay in one of the Inns downtown. Of Course, i am not sure about how their rates compare. I have had enjoyable stays at Front Street Inn. The Wilmingtonian might be an option, my friends parents stayed their and enjoyed it. You might like Mayfaire, i wouldn't want to stay there if i was going to be in wilmington for a weeekend. It has a cool setup but all it really is is a strip mall on steriods w/ a Talbots, barnes and nobles, atlanta bread company, red robin etc etc.. You can do that stuff in Georgia, come check out some of our downtown restaurants. Hope this helps.....

Georgia
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Weekend in Wilmington

Thank you for the great recommendation. The Hilton has been remodeled from what I hear. We prefer hotel to b&b or inn but I will look at what you recommended and definitely stay downtown.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
60 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weekend in Wilmington

The Hilton was being remodeled last time I was in there for a Convention. They were in the process of adding a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, but it's not open yet that I know of.

The area the Hilton is in isn't a bad area... You just have to be smart walking anywhere at night in any town.

Melrose, MA
Level Contributor
59 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weekend in Wilmington

the Hilton is wonderful - you may even get a great price - dinner at Cafe Pheonex is a must too

9. Re: Weekend in Wilmington

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 pm, September 25, 2009