We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crime in Wilmington

Which Wilmington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Amityville
Level Contributor
38 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Crime in Wilmington

Hello! My family is from NY and are consdering moving to NC. Many people we know are moving to the Wilmington area so I am interersted in it. However, we looked up the city data and the crime seems to be outrageous!!!! Wilmington crime rates are double and in some cases triple the national average! Check out this cite

city-data.com/city/Wilmington-North-Carolina…

I dont get it! Is Wilmington an area with excellent schools and alot of white collar jobs? Or can someone direct me to area not too far (less an 1 hr) from Wilmiington that is? My husband is a CPA and we need to find an area that he could get clients. We looked at Cary that was very nice but very different that what we are used to. Soneone please shed some light on Wilmington. Thanks!

wilmington, nc
Level Contributor
46 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crime in Wilmington

Some of the data you are reading is from 2000. Wilmington is a huge city(larger than Greensboro) and also a tourist destination. We have thousands of folks from all over decending on Wilmington and the beaches every year. Wilmington is a melting pot for artist, blue collar worker, white collar workers, poor, and rich. We have everything from movie studios, million dollar yacht dealers, to K-Mart. Strolling downdown you could see street people or Courtney Cox filming a movie.

It is also a popular spot for Marines from Jacksonville to visit. And yes some of them like to drink too much and start fights, or worse. We hired a new police chief last year and he is doing a wonderful job with new community programs and hiring more cops during the tourist season.

Housing in Wilmington is at a premium. (Everyone wants to live near the beach.) So here are some close town that you might consider - Hampstead, Magnolia Greens (near Leland), and numerous other sub-divisions in Brunswick Co.

By the way you are one of thousands of Northerners moving down here. No offense, but remember to leave that "northern" attitude in NY. Life is a slower pace here.

Amityville
Level Contributor
38 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crime in Wilmington

Thanks for your input. I didnt think that my post had an attitude at all and was shocked when you insinuated that. I am pushing to move to that area and was simply concerned about the data that we have researched. You have shed some light on it and for that I am thankful.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Crime in Wilmington

I don't think it was meant to accuse you of an attitude. We southerners have been a bit burned by the abruptness and impatience of hords of people from the north who have moved to our state and at times belittled us because we are not like them. It was just a reaction. Don't take it personally, and best wishes on your move- I hope you enjoy North Carolina.

Amityville
Level Contributor
38 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crime in Wilmington

Thanks Bud -maybe in the future when I am asking about areas in Nc I shouldnt mention where I am from. Do you have any suggestions for us?

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
617 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Crime in Wilmington

Wimington is okay. The best thing that I have found that it has going for it is the beach. The triangle area has a lot more jobs and in my opinion things to do. Wilmington is close to Mrytle Beach which is also a plus. I would love to be near the beach, but I have noticed a lot more jobs in central N.C.

Cary is very nice, but expensive. Low crime rate and good schools.

Cary, NC
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Crime in Wilmington

I think you took it wrong...surfbecca said "that northern attitude" not "your nothern attitude"...she was just generalizing. Anyway, I have lived here in Cary for 5 years. It has its pros and cons. It is very controlled...lots of rules and people who are adament about following them which can get annoying but because of that Cary is clean, no stray dogs, no eyesore construction, low crime, etc. etc. and great for families with a network of Greenways where you can walk without even realizing you're in a heavily populated urban sprawl. No one seems to acknowledge, however, that there is a lot of drugs and tobacco use in the schools and elsewhere here. It's kept hush hush, I think, but it's very prevelent because the families of these kids have money. SAS (software) is a huge influence here and are credited with a private school, 5-star restaurants and hotel(in the works), state soccer grounds, etc. They take care of their own big time. Other huge corporations are home-based here too. The thing I like best about living in Cary is that its not too far from the ocean and not too far from the Blue Ridge Mts. Cary is convenient to the RDU airport and not far from one of the top five best hospitals in the USA...Duke. Wilmington has it all over Cary though when it comes to charm.

Cary, NC
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Crime in Wilmington

I think you took it wrong...surfbecca said "that northern attitude" not "your nothern attitude"...she was just generalizing. Anyway, I have lived here in Cary for 5 years. It has its pros and cons. It is very controlled...lots of rules and people who are adament about following them which can get annoying but because of that Cary is clean, no stray dogs, no eyesore construction, low crime, etc. etc. and great for families with a network of Greenways where you can walk without even realizing you're in a heavily populated urban sprawl. No one seems to acknowledge, however, that there is a lot of drugs and tobacco use in the schools and elsewhere here. It's kept hush hush, I think, but it's very prevelent because the families of these kids have money. SAS (software) is a huge influence here and are credited with a private school, 5-star restaurants and hotel(in the works), state soccer grounds, etc. They take care of their own big time. Other huge corporations are home-based here too. The thing I like best about living in Cary is that its not too far from the ocean and not too far from the Blue Ridge Mts. Cary is convenient to the RDU airport and not far from one of the top five best hospitals in the USA...Duke. Wilmington has it all over Cary though when it comes to charm.

NC mountains
Level Contributor
755 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crime in Wilmington

Has your husband considered accepting a Controller position at one of the nearby resorts? There are thousands of resorts, hotels, etc, within reach of Wilmington, that may bring job opportunities. I don't think a CPA has anything to worry about. Opening up a new business and networking new clients may prove hard, as Wilmington is a tourist area. Most people come and go. Though acquiring new corporate clients may be easier, as the economy seems to be on the up, with new stores and companies opening daily along the NC/SC coast.

If you were looking for computer engineering-type job, I would definitely push for the Triangle area (Raleigh/Durham), however a CPA really has a choice these days, which is nice (which makes me glad I chose the profession as well!).

Good luck with your move!

Amityville
Level Contributor
38 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crime in Wilmington

Thanks for your advice. We really do appreciate it as this is a big decision for us. We keep leaning toward Cary, we just wish we knew someone there!

Wilmington,NC
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Crime in Wilmington

Kelemily,

I just moved to Wilmington from Mpls MN 5 weeks ago. The crime seems very low here. I was commenting to my husband

that the talk of the town was the fire at the Astor Hotel, but there is no mention in the news about murders yet. It seems like a very safe place to live. We forgot to lock all of our doors several nights and no one tried to break in. lol

But my expectations about the cost of living were not met. It's more expensive than I thought, yet the pay (for a nurse) is TERRIBLE here. They are offering me $6 less than what I was making in Mpls, yet the cost of living is cheaper there. So of course it makes me wonder how good the nursing care is here, if they are paid so little. For now until I get my NC nursing license endorsement, I am working as a greeter in a restaurant at only $1 less than I would be making as a nurse. So even though I have 25 years experience, and am I very good nurse....I am thinking it's just not worth that extra dollar for a boatload of extra stress.

Wilmington is nice. If you moved here, I think you'd be happy.

Best of luck to you.

Get answers to your questions about Wilmington