We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Wilmington or Hampstead

Level Contributor
8 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Moving to Wilmington or Hampstead

My family and I are pretty sure that we are moving to Wilmington. We are taking our 2nd trip down next week. My husband will be working in Leland or Wilmington. If we lived in Hampstead, would his commute be bad? We are split between Wilmington and Hampstead. I like some of the homes in the Pine Valley area (off of College Road). The schools seem to rate well too. Any tips/suggestions about where to live in Wilmington would be great. We can't go any higher than $400,000. Our only requirements are good schools (Hoggard district) and enough land for a pool. Any other general advice about the area would be much appreciated. I just posted a review for Dock Street Seafood. The food there was fantastic!

Thanks.

NC & CA
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Wilmington or Hampstead

Hi Jen!

I grew up in Wilmington, but now live in San Diego---I go back to visit friends and family about 5 times a year. The area I love and think is great is the Forest Hills / Old Country Club area (zip 28403). I look on the FindWilmington.com MLS real estate listings all the time to see what is "out there" area and price-wise. There are many houses that are wonderful in your price range. The College (that you mentioned) area is great too. Hampstead is about 20 -30 minutes from Wilmington and at this time it is a bit of a commute, but there are some great values in homes out there. Keeping in mind you always look toward the future in terms of re-sale value for your home, Wilmington will probably give you a better return on your home investment in the long run, though. I own a house and a small condo that I bought for investments in Wilmington. I have a GREAT loan person and a great RE Agent, should you need either. They are both very diligent, hardworking and honest...and both women. I am a mortgage loan officer here in CA, but cannot do my own loans in NC---I have bought 3 properties using these ladies...It is very hard to find someone you can trust! Good luck and let me know if I can help in any way!

All the best, Robin

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
355 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to Wilmington or Hampstead

Welcome to NC...I relocated here 4 yrs ago to Hampstead and I love it here! The school system is the best so thats why we picked here for my nephew. ( South Topsail District) Leland is very low lying and tends to have flooding issues, so that is another reason we picked this area. Both places are currently booming, but since we are not incooperated as of yet, the taxes are cheaper here as well. Hope this helps ya...

3. Re: Moving to Wilmington or Hampstead

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:12 pm, October 26, 2015
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
60 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to Wilmington or Hampstead

If he's working in Leland, you're looking at appx. 20-30 minutes depending on traffic from Hampstead. The schools are very good (and much improved over the last 10 years) in that area, but it's also growing quite fast (but everything is down here).

Personally, I'd rather be in Wilmington, and Pine Valley has nice homes. ANother good neighborhood in Lansdowne. Someone else had mentioned the country club area, but they aren't in the Hoggard district which you mentioned you wanted.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving to Wilmington or Hampstead

NewportJen.......I think you will definitely love the Wilmington area. Do check out the Waterford area, and the many other new areas on the Brunswick County side of the Cape Fear. There is so much going on in the Leland and Belville area now with hundreds of new businesses and homes being built. You would be right over the bridge from Wilmington, a 30 minute nice drive to beautiful beaches, (like Oak Island) straight shot down 17 to Myrtle Beach, near one of the highest rated schools in the country, Roger Bacon Academy, and not have to commute through the city of Wilmington. Of course, depending where you live on the North side, there are many new routes around the city. You would be hard pressed to not find exactly what you want in such a great area.

Danbury, Connecticut
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving to Wilmington or Hampstead

We just moved down from NY last may, now I work at Olde Point Country Club in Hampstead and I commute from Wilmington everyday. Right now the commute isn't so bad because its not tourist season. It costs me about 25$ in gas for a 5 day work week for a round trip from home to work. During the summer college rd. will kill your commute it will make a half hour drive an over a hour drive. Hampstead is a lot more rural then Wilmington. I'm sure the schools are better in Wilmington because of the population but we have no kids so I don't know for sure. Hampstead is nice if you don't mind driving a half hour to a mall. Down Town Wilmington seems like a great place to live and Front st. is a great night life scene. Some parts of downtown Wilmington are a bit shady so watch out for those areas.

7. Re: Moving to Wilmington or Hampstead

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 pm, September 07, 2009