We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Topsail Beach: Dog walk leash swim etc

NYC
13 posts
North Topsail Beach: Dog walk leash swim etc

Our trip isn't until end of June, but trying to decide if we should bring our dog on the cross-country trek. Vacation home is in North Topsail Beach, ocean-front. Our lab is under good verbal command, quite "passive" and enjoys running into water and digging the occasional hole near the surf-line.

While I would never let our dog roam freely the entire time or approach random sun worshipers, I am wondering: what is the "level of strictness" to which people here adhere to leash law?

I've read recent stories about fines being raised (which is quite reasonable). I've read that 25-foot leash (max) is required. But, in other places, I have read: "Dogs can be taken off leash when they are fetching and running in the water, but dog owners must have complete control over the animal at all times." (Is this second bit still accurate?)

Can a dog go for a swim?

Again, we will weigh any feedback carefully in our decision to bring dog or not.

Would appreciate all useful feedback from residents/experts! Thanks much!

Topsail Island, NC
Level Contributor
977 posts
33 reviews
1. Re: North Topsail Beach: Dog walk leash swim etc

It used to be that you could take your dog off the leash to let it retrieve balls and such that you throw into the water for it. Unfortunately, that no longer appears to be the case.

I cut & pasted this from the NTB website -

Dogs must be on a leash and under the control of the owner at all times. While being walked or exercised off the premises or property of the owner or custodian, the dog must be restrained by a leash connected to a collar or harness, sufficient to restrain the dog from breaking loose. The leash is not to be longer than twenty-five (25) feet in length (retractable).

It is the owner’s responsibility to ensure that all excrement is immediately removed and placed in the proper receptacle. Please do not leave animals locked in unattended vehicles with no provisions or climate control, as it is detrimental to their health. Cruel and inhumane treatment of animals will result in the responsible party being charged with applicable violations.

Please make the beach enjoyable for all - both people and your pets!

If you want to look into it further, you can call the town hall at 910-328-1349 or ask a question on the town's website at http://ntbnc.org/contactus.aspx

Johnson City...
Level Contributor
173 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: North Topsail Beach: Dog walk leash swim etc

Topsail Island is my current favorite vacation destination.Topsail is definately a dog friendly destination.

I envy those vacationers that get to vacation with their dogs. We always have booked ocean front homes so I have observed many dogs enjoying being beach dogs. If your dog is as described I doubt people will have an issue with a dog being off their leash for ball chase or swim in the ocean. The home we rented last year was in North Topsail and our "neighbors" frequently had their standard poodle and lab off leashes... they were very well voice controlled and they always had leashes handy. The lab loved going for the ball in the ocean...he would swim out get the ball turn around and then float waiting for the waves to bring back in. I have also observed many dogs being off leashes but were always under a watchful eye and well mannered. Hope you have wonderful Topsail vacation.

North Carolina USA
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
77 reviews
3. Re: North Topsail Beach: Dog walk leash swim etc

I had a large dog and as I live in the country, I do not put my dog on a leash, so when I took her to the beach she liked to wander. She will come back at a finger snap but I quit taking her because I could not keep her off the dunes and I did not want to restrain her. Also she thought every loved her and as you know not everyone loves a dog walking up to them! So you have to ask yourself will your dog be happy if you have to restrain her or him the whole time? Will they be happier at home?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
52 reviews
4. Re: North Topsail Beach: Dog walk leash swim etc

On Topsail Island there is North Topsail and then Surf City and then the town of Topsail Beach. You could see what the regulations are for Topsail Beach and maybe you can take your dog to the south end on the Sound Side where there are tidal pools and nice flat sand bars. Yeah, it would be a trek for you, but may be a good compromise for you if you still want to give your buddy a romp now and then.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
13 reviews
5. Re: North Topsail Beach: Dog walk leash swim etc

Also be aware: hot sand and sand spurs can be tough on paws.

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,223 posts
65 reviews
6. Re: North Topsail Beach: Dog walk leash swim etc

Great advice Astrid, I wish all pet owners were as thoughtful as you.

P.S. I love dogs.

North Topsail...
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
7. Re: North Topsail Beach: Dog walk leash swim etc

I learned that the "dogs on the Beach" laws had changed just last month. I was walking my Weimaraner on the beach. When there isn't anyone within 50 or 60 yeards of us I let him off lead - he always stays within 20 feet of me anyway. At one point I looked back behind us and a police car was driving down the beach!! I immediately put my dog's lead back on. The car pulled up next to us and the officer said "You're supposed to put him on the lead before you see us, not after" Haahaa! They were really very nice about it and informed me of the new law.

So fair warning....they will drive on the beach to find you!

8. Re: North Topsail Beach: Dog walk leash swim etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:27 am, June 03, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Topsail Beach
More Topsail Beach Topics