We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NCDOT Surf City Bridge Replacement Project

Topsail Island...
Level Contributor
77 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
NCDOT Surf City Bridge Replacement Project

This proposed bridge replacement is probably the single most significant event affecting the visitors to and the citizens of the Topsail Island community in the last sixty years..... since Hurricane Hazel destroyed the original bridge..... making the construction of the existing bridge necessary.

NCDOT will hold a CITIZENS INFORMATIONAL WORKSHOP

Thursday, June 25th, 2:30 pm - 7:30 pm at the

Surf City Community Center, 201 Community Center Drive in Surf City.

The purpose of this workshop is to get public comment on DOT's plans to replace the existing Surf City Bridge over the Intracoastal Waterway.

You can check out the DOT web site concerning this proposed bridge replacement at... ncdot.gov/projects/topsailislandbridge/#id91

I encourage anyone interest in the future of Topsail Island to become informed and be a part of this important decision.

Missiles and More Museum
Natural History Museums, Military Museums
Patio Playground - the Putt-Putt
Mini Golf, Game & Entertainment Centers, Theme Parks
Ecological Marine Adventures
Stand-Up Paddleboarding, Boat Tours, Lessons & Workshops
In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,546 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NCDOT Surf City Bridge Replacement Project

Thanks for the info., keep us updated.

Topsail Island
Level Contributor
365 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NCDOT Surf City Bridge Replacement Project

Out of 350 People who showed up there was only a handful who Voiced their opposition and guess who ?

Topsail Island, NC
Level Contributor
977 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NCDOT Surf City Bridge Replacement Project

I believe almost everyone voiced their opinion either by talking to the representatives who were there, taking a comment form with them or sitting down at a table that was provided for filling out comment cards. That table was packed the entire time I was there. And I was there for quite a while.

It appeared to me that the large majority wanted the swing bridge replaced by something similar, if it has to be replaced. Only a few people that I heard advocated replacing the bridge with something like a high rise bridge.

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,546 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NCDOT Surf City Bridge Replacement Project

I am glad that there is such a large interest in this project, as it is an important topic to locals and visitors alike.

There will be many opinions on this,from new reports and ideas, and some opinions from locals whom hate any change, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Whatever is decided I am sure it will be good for the Topsail Island Communities saftey. Also lets remember, construction is not scheduled to begin until 2015.

5. Re: NCDOT Surf City Bridge Replacement Project

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 29, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Topsail Beach
More Topsail Beach Topics