We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Topsail Beach in Oct. Looking 4 dog friendly paitos

Hebron, Ohio
4 posts
Save Topic
Visiting Topsail Beach in Oct. Looking 4 dog friendly paitos

Hello!

My husband and I are renting an oceanfront in Topsail Beach the beginning of October, and are looking for some restaurants that we can eat outside with our dogs.

Our dogs are well behaved, (my husband is a professional dog trainer) so that is not an issue. They've traveled all over the country with us and we've never had a problem.. But we've never been to Topsail Island before, and have no clue how to go about finding restaurants before we go.

Thanks! :)

Missiles and More Museum
Natural History Museums, Military Museums
Patio Playground - the Putt-Putt
Mini Golf, Game & Entertainment Centers, Theme Parks
Ecological Marine Adventures
Stand-Up Paddleboarding, Boat Tours, Lessons & Workshops
greensboro, north...
Level Contributor
112 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Topsail Beach in Oct. Looking 4 dog friendly paitos

Hi! Glad you are coming to "my" beach -- I own a vacation house thereand love the island. Your dogs will certainly be welcome on the beach, but I am not aware of any restaurants where they are allowed. I certainly have never see a dog at any of the restaurants there. There are not that many restaurants on the island to begin with and not that many have outdoor dining, believe it or not. The few that do, have pretty small outdoor dining places. The places that have outdoor dining include Sears landing, Daddy Macs, Indigo Marsh, Johnny's (I think it is called -- it is next door to the pier in Surf City and is the one place that might allow dogs though I am not sure you would want to eat there.) Try calling some of these places and asking. They are all in Surf City (the middle part of the island.)

Hebron, Ohio
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Topsail Beach in Oct. Looking 4 dog friendly paitos

Thank you so much for replying!!

I'll check them out.

I'm very excited about visiting the island and being on the beach..

Is there a grocery store (food lion) on the island?

Thanks! :)

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
60 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Topsail Beach in Oct. Looking 4 dog friendly paitos

The Food lion is technically not on the island, but about a mile off the island just out from Surf City (technically still in the city limits). There's also an IGA on the island after you cross over the bridge.

Hebron, Ohio
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Topsail Beach in Oct. Looking 4 dog friendly paitos

Great!

Thank you so much for all of your info..

I do have another question, if you don't mind..

The area on the end of the island.. the southernmost end.. is it open to the public to explore? We are pretty low key people.. we just like to hang out and explore the area and relax.. and do some shopping..

Also, is the weather pretty good in October? We are looking to escape the crowds, get in the ocean and rent a boat for the day of exploring.. My dad lives 2 hours south of Topsail Island and says that the weather is around 85 in october where he is at.. just wondering from the locals...

Thanks again for the replies!!!

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
60 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Topsail Beach in Oct. Looking 4 dog friendly paitos

In early October, it should still be nice (80-90) but cooling off in the evening... The far south end of the island is called serenity point and most of it is "private", but that's not to say you can't walk out and enjoy the beach at all... By early October, you won't have much of a crowd anywhere on Topsail though... It really starts emptying out of visitors after the Labor Day holiday.

A good place to shop is The Gift Basket which is in Topsail Beach and there's a nice little bookstore called Quarter Moon just south of The Gift Basket as well.

Which end are you staying at?

Hebron, Ohio
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Topsail Beach in Oct. Looking 4 dog friendly paitos

We are staying on Ocean Blvd.. in Topsail Beach.. closer to the southern part of the island.. I think the realty place said it was 7 miles from the traffic light. I hope that makes sense.

We picked Topsail Beach because Surf City and N. Topsail Beach have leash laws year round (so I've read and heard from the chamber of commerce) Topsail beach doesn't and was highly recommended by dogfriendly.com

When I saw the huge vastness at the bottom of the island with just sand on Google Earth, I thought it would be a perfect place to explore and just hang out for the day. I'm hoping we can get out there to explore..

I've heard Skullys is a good place to go.. We like to take the morning to go running, the afternoon to explore and the evening to walk around town and shop..

Usually we go out west for vacation (Wyoming and Montana) but since we are moving out there next year we wanted to go to the beach, and it's close to Mytrle Beach (where my dad lives) We're more "blenders" when it comes to going on vacation. It's funny because more than once on vacation people stop and ask US for directions! :)

I'm getting really excited about this trip and even more so with all of your kind words and advice

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
60 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Topsail Beach in Oct. Looking 4 dog friendly paitos

You'll definitely have plenty of beach to explore!! The dogs should be fine and most of the public accesses provide bags to pick up after your dog if you don't have any with you. I've been going to Topsail for years for vacation with the family and it's just a nice quaint beach to enjoy. Only thing I'll suggest from your last comment is you may want to do your shopping during the day instead of the evening as a lot of the places on the island close by 5 or 6.

Skullys, Beach Grille, and the others that I mentioned are all good places. (I'd avoid Beach Grille for dinner, but some people love it.. I thought the portions were small for what you paid)

Woodbridge, VA
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Topsail Beach in Oct. Looking 4 dog friendly paitos

We've gone to Topsail Island four years in a row now...always take a walk at the south end....which is from what I've heard a nature reserve....beautiful and barren beach...tons of shells..you can walk all the way around to the end and see the bay meet the ocean...it's amazing...don't go into the water though..riptides and undertows are heavy in that area.

Woodbridge, VA
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Topsail Beach in Oct. Looking 4 dog friendly paitos

Forgot to add, places that are good to eat:

Family Pizzeria...great Italian food..

also the Crab Shack near the swing bridge; not a fancy place but has great seafood.... Dairy Queen of course has great ice cream!

Topsail Island...
Level Contributor
77 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Topsail Beach in Oct. Looking 4 dog friendly paitos

If you have already made your trip, please post a review. If you have not gone yet, post that you have not, and I will offer a few suggestions.

Get answers to your questions about Topsail Beach
More Topsail Beach Topics