We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Topsail in April

Hartford...
Level Contributor
512 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Topsail in April

We will be staying in a rental on the beach near Surf City for a week at the end of April. We will be attending a wedding nearby, but will have plenty of extra time. What type of weather might we encounter. My husband wants to know how the fishing is there (he hopes to spend his time surfcasting off the beach). Will most of the restaurants be open that time of year or is it *really off-season?

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Topsail in April

The weather at this time can be sunny and 80 one day and 50 and rain the next! We have been in April and have seen people in the water, but then again I was there in January and saw those crazy surfers riding the waves! Fishing should be good then, of course weather pending...

As for restaurants, I think most should be opened by the end of April. Have a great trip!

North Carolina USA
Level Contributor
1,379 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Topsail in April

April can be awesome; we always go in April cause my birthday is mid April. The water can be very blue in April. Too cold to swim, but lovely for walks on the beach and the fishing can be good.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Topsail in April

Here's a link to Topsail dining. Enjoy your visit.

TOPSAIL AREA DINING.................

http://topsaildining.blogspot.com/

Topsail Island, NC
Level Contributor
977 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Topsail in April

That's a nice list, Axle, but a little dated. There are many restaurants on the list that are not in business anymore. Anyone using that list should call ahead first.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
512 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Topsail in April

Thanks Axle for the restaurant blog link, I will check it out as we get closer to April. Conniecat, thanks for the cautionary note--any idea how old the list is??

Topsail Island, NC
Level Contributor
977 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Topsail in April

I'm not sure how old the list is but Tom Dooley's is still on it and I think that restaurant has been gone for at least five years, the same with Pepperoni's. It's confusing though because the Thia Grill, which is still open, is on there and has been open only two or three years.

Over a dozen restaurants on that list are no longer in business. I wish whoever has the blog spot that it is posted on would clean it out and update it. This is not the first time I've seen it posted by well meaning people on Trip Advisor but it is so misleading.

Johnson City...
Level Contributor
192 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Topsail in April

We usually vacation on Topsail during March and October. Hope you have good weather but if your beach house is nice enough a little bad weather shouldn't get in your way of a good time. If you have prolonged bad weather you will be close enough to Wilmington. two Aquariums and Fort Fisher etc.

We have never had any issues with finding restaurants open during our stays. I would just check hours of when they are open...certain restaurants will only be for dinner etc.. Sears Landing one of my favorites is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I always pass along the first restaurant that was recommended to me the Riverview in Sneads Ferry is a must try. Trip Advisors reviews of Topsail restaurants will be helpful in planning your eating/dining enjoyment. There are several large grocery stores before you get onto the Island and a small IGA in Surf City for any beach house cooking or supplies. There are local seafood vendors Surf City Crab and several in Sneads Ferry and sometimes under tents along the side of the roads.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Topsail in April

Thanks for pointing out the dining list is out of date. I thought those folks would keep it current. Evidently not. Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
47 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Topsail in April

In your free time you should check out the Sea Turtle Hospital, especially if you have kids. They are closed to the public right now for the winter but they may be open in April. Here is their link: http://www.seaturtlehospital.org/

Hartford...
Level Contributor
512 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Topsail in April

Thanks Lady...that would have definately been something to check out, but it looks like they are only open June-September.

Get answers to your questions about Surf City
Recent Conversations