We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any real updates on damage caused by Irene??

North Carolina USA
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Any real updates on damage caused by Irene??

I am particularly interest in North Topsail Beach.

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,546 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any real updates on damage caused by Irene??

Last I knew it was still storming pretty bad, wind and rain. According to some reports the power was still on around mm6 this morning, a good sign I would think. Hoping for the best!

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,546 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any real updates on damage caused by Irene??

You may also want to check out the Topsail Voice on-line edition, they've been posting quite regularly.

www.topsailvoice.com/topsail_voice/front/

North Carolina USA
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any real updates on damage caused by Irene??

My husband is thinking of driving down either this afternoon or late tonight and I will report.

North Carolina USA
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any real updates on damage caused by Irene??

From the NTB web site 2008 Loggerhead Court Phone (910) 328-1349 North Topsail Beach, NC 28460 ntbnc.org Toll Free: (800) 687-7092 Fax (910) 328-4508 NEWS CENTER FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE August 27, 2011 9:00 a.m. Contact: Carin Faulkner, Town Clerk/PIO carinf@north-topsail-beach.org 910 328-1349 HURRICANE IRENE MEDIA RELEASE #2 NORTH TOPSAIL BEACH - There has been minimal structural damage to residences, some shingles and siding. There was no loss of power. First responders are patrolling the streets. Several dunes were breached; the north end being hit the hardest at Marina Way and River Road. On the south end, Topsail Road had overwash with 2 feet of sand. Irene jogged to the east and then to the west as it approached. Gusts were from 50 to 60 mph with sustained winds from 35 to 45 mph. The storm is expected to tapper off between 4 to 6 p.m. The Town encourages everyone to stay tuned to local radio and television for updates on the conditions of Hurricane Irene. The Town will continue to monitor conditions and will notify the public when it is safe to reenter.

North Carolina USA
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any real updates on damage caused by Irene??

Per witn.com/localnews/headlines/ONSLOW_North_To…

Officials decided to end the curfew enacted for North Topsail Beach early, at 10 a.m. Saturday. Officials urge residents to re-enter with caution.

Officials report minimal structural damage to homes, included some shingles and siding. The town did not lose power.

Several dunes were breached, according to officials. They say the north end was the hardest hit at Marina Way and River Road. On the south end, Topsail Road had overwash with 2 feet of sand.

Town officials say Hurricane Irene jogged to the east and then to the west as it approached. Gusts were from 50 to 60 mph with sustained winds from 35 to 45 mph.

North Carolina USA
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any real updates on damage caused by Irene??

Reporting from Shipwatch. NTB opened the 210 bridge at 3PM and I arrived at 4PM. I am thrilled to tell you all that not only do we have power and water, but I do not see any damage, other than a loose shingle. The dunes survived totally intact. As a matter of fact, the drive from the Town Hall building to the Shipwatch did not reveal much damage at all other than normal heavy rain flooding across the street. Thank God we came through this one almost unscathed. We can take a deep breath now.

Topsail Island, NC
Level Contributor
977 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any real updates on damage caused by Irene??

The North Topsail Beach website, ntbnc.org has videos of the town. One of the staff drove around town and just let the video roll. I'M not sure she has all the areas online yet but I know she is planning on it.

And Topsail Voice of Facebook has tons of photos and is answering specific questions.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pages/Topsail-Voice/103353583036131

8. Re: Any real updates on damage caused by Irene??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 16, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Surf City
Recent Conversations