We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Directions

Maryland
8 posts
Save Topic
Driving Directions

Hi, I am going to be driving to Surf City on Saturday, June 5. I will be coming down on 95 from Baltimore. Do I stay on 95 to I-40, or do I follow the Google/Mapquest route which takes me off 95 to 795, 70, 258, 24, 17, 50, etc.? Thanks

Topsail Island, NC
Level Contributor
977 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Directions

I perfer going the Google/Mapquest route but it's up to you.

Using 95 to 40 gives you interstate driving until you get off 40 onto 17; the other way has smaller highways but is a little quicker.

It's up to you and depends on what kind of driving you prefer.

Maryland
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Directions

Thanks. I am looking for the fastest way. So if it is faster going off of 95, then I will follow Google or Mapquest. Just wanted to check and make sure that it was in fact faster. Thanks for your help

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,433 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Directions

We have driven both ways, and prefer the Google map way also. But it depends if you like open interstates, going 65 to 70mph, I'd stick to 95 and 40.

Going the other way you will go through some small towns and be more restircted on your speed. It is a nice drive though, and for us it's good to get off the interstate for a few hours and wind down.

As for the quickest way, it's hard to say with traffic and construction, time of day, etc. But as I stated, we do prefer the "back way".

Have a fun trip!

Maryland
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving Directions

Well, my main goal at that point will be getting to Topsail as soon as possible. I don't need to go 65 or 70 mph, 50-50 is ok too, if that route is shorter and will save time overall. But if it is 40 mph with lots of lights and ends up taking more time than staying on the interstate, maybe that is not the way to go. It seems, however, that the off the interstate route is the fastest and most direct way, right? Thanks

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving Directions

Take 95/40 there, and the other way back.

And just don't speed/get caught speeding. NC speeding tickets are a pain.

Topsail Island, NC
Level Contributor
977 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving Directions

Just wondering what route you took and how it worked out for you.

Hope you had a great time on Topsail Island!

Maryland
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving Directions

Took jwhitree's advice. Took 95/40 there, backroads on the way back. I think the backroads were faster. Also there was a big backup on 95 on the way home because of an accident. By going the backroads we missed most of it, so it worked out well.

8. Re: Driving Directions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 14, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Surf City