We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming

Glade Sprin VA
3 posts
Save Topic
Swimming

My family is headed to Surf City the week of June 12-19 and i have heard that this isnt the best place for swimming. I was told you go out a few feet and then it just kind of drops of to deep water more suited for surfing. We have several kids coming with us and I am just concerned. Is this true? Is it a good place to swim? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Topsail Island
Level Contributor
365 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming

Not True at all,The only dangerous place to swim is in the inlets.Surf City beaches are some of the safest beaches around but of course different conditions predict using common sense,Never take your eyes off the Kids.Pay attention to swimming advisories when issued.Stay off the beach when Lightning is present.There are times when we get tidal pools that are perfect for the little ones.

Glade Sprin VA
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming

Thank you so much!!! Thats what I thought but with kids you can never be to sure so I figured I should ask. You have definetly eased my mind. Thanks again!

Topsail Island, NC
Level Contributor
977 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming

Like Jellybear said, just keep away from the inlets. My kids have been swimming on Topsail Beaches since they first learned how to swim. Now my grandkids swim here. Just be cautious as you would be at any ocean beach.

Glade Sprin VA
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming

Thanks guys I really appreciate it. This will be our first trip to Topsail and we are so excited. Thanks for putting my mind at ease!

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,545 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming

I think Topsail is just perfect for you. A nice laid back, family get away. We still love to play in the waves, sand and sun. The kids will love it, finding shells that wash up, playing in the waves, and just running up and down the open beach.

We always stop in at Maxways(next to Food Lion in Sneads Ferry) to buy some inexpensive "floaties" to play with in the water. Just watch those waves, sometimes they can sneak up and you !

Have a great trip, and please check back with us!

ny
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Swimming

yep the waves can kick your butt on some days but on others it is nice. a nice place for kids.

7. Re: Swimming

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, November 30, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Surf City
Recent Conversations