We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thank God For Camino Real

Topsail Island
Level Contributor
365 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Thank God For Camino Real

As most of you know by now I don't dish out compliments that often But Our new Mexican Restaurant ROCKS!,Everything tastes so fresh and the Staff is so Attentive ,I have almost tried everything on the menu and can give it a Thumbs up! Think I'll try and get them to do a Real CrabCake Sandwich which I can't find around here.

They have a Fajitas Special for two that is only 20 bucks and more food than you can eat.

Topsail Island, NC
Level Contributor
977 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thank God For Camino Real

I've heard mixed reviews on Camino Real. Some people have had great experiences, others not so much.

One word of caution - they add an 18% gratuity to all checks, just not ones for large parties, but to every bill. There's no where on the menu or any place alerting diners to this fact, you find out when you get your bill.

North Carolina USA
Level Contributor
1,356 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thank God For Camino Real

We just ate their Saturday night and I did not see an 18% charge. If they did, then I guess we tipped twice. I agree with Jelly bear. I love Camino Real. The service was a little slow on Saturday, but they had wandering guitar players so we did not mind the wait. Ate too many chips while we waited for our food. But it was wonderful.

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,459 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thank God For Camino Real

Too bad. I will not go into a restaurant that adds any % on the check, without notice. Poor business decision.

I also have heard mixed reviews on this restaurant, some even on this forum.

Topsail Island
Level Contributor
365 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thank God For Camino Real

I don't know who came up with that bogus information as I asked the Manager about and He said NO They don't add a gratuity to checks.Anyway the place is jamming so much that theres a wait to get in the Place,And now they have outside seating.The Margaritas are the best on the Island Trust Me on that.

Topsail Island, NC
Level Contributor
977 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thank God For Camino Real

They might have changed it but as of last month they were adding the gratuity to all checks regardless of party size.

wickly
Level Contributor
65 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thank God For Camino Real

We tried to eat at Camino Real on Friday. We walked in and were asaulted by the noise. It is one of those restaraunts with stone floors, hard walls, tall ceilings, not a scrap of sound absorbing drapes or upholstery and closely packed tables...and on a high season Friday night they were hopping. Whether intentional or not, it is perfectly designed for maximum noise level. It was actually a physical relief to walk out after just 1 minute waiting at the desk to sign up for the list to wait for a table. Obviously others don't mind such din, but if you do, there might be better choices for dinner.

Topsail Island
Level Contributor
365 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thank God For Camino Real

Thats why We live for the Off Season.

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,459 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thank God For Camino Real

Yea, we did a drive-by-look and it is hard to get past the Shopping Center/Mini Mall setting. Plan on stopping in next trip down.

Topsail Island
Level Contributor
365 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thank God For Camino Real

Just got back from another fine meal at Camino Real and it was packed as usual the noise wasn't so bad tonite and the Margaritas were delish as RR would say,If anybody has a problem with the noise they have Outdoor seating available.

Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thank God For Camino Real

This is not a great restaurant by mexican standards its just fair but much better than most restaurants on the island

Get answers to your questions about Surf City