We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Topsail review right on....

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,546 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Topsail review right on....

Check out the great new review on Topsail, Surf City, and North Topsail. Or maybe not, let's keep it our little secret.

Maryland
Level Contributor
23 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Topsail review right on....

yes, lets keep it a secret! LOL. Where is the review?

Greenville, North...
Level Contributor
81 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Topsail review right on....

Djad,

I would like to see the review. please post.

Thanks

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,546 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Topsail review right on....

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g49584-d2734…

I'm not sure this will work. If not, go to the Topsail page, at the side go to things to do. It is the most recent post.

Topsail Island
Level Contributor
365 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Topsail review right on....

The reason why we have no Greenery or trees is because of the Hurricanes of 96.But they are slowly coming back.

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,546 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Topsail review right on....

I think the island is beautiful, green, gray, brown or purple! I know the troubles that the hurricanes cause the locals. Remember beauty is always in the eye of the beholder!

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
291 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Topsail review right on....

We were going to visit the island last July, but after calling local businesses and looking at local newspapers I decided against it. I was going to book a week a Topsail Dunes, but when it is high tide the water was up to the steps going down to the beach. I was told by a local business the beach is washing away and the home owners can not afford the millions of dollars to build the beaches back up. Also I was told by the chamber of commerce that the government will not give any money because the island sits to far below sea level. Too bad, sounds like a quiet little town. We stayed at Carolina Beach instead, and will not return. My favorite beach in the state is still Wrightsville, and Ocean Isle.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Topsail review right on....

Back in the 70s before ANYTHING was up at North Topsail...

Then they started building up there, and the locals started to titter that it was a bad idea. Sand shifts from north to south on the island. (Look at how much bigger the south end of the island has become in the last 20 years.) The inlet between Old Topsail (Lea island) and the once "No Name" Island is now filled in.

Unfortunately, it is going to continue to get ugly for northern properties, and hurricanes don't help (anyone anywhere on the island for that matter). I was there right after Fran, and cried and cried seeing the homes of old friends gone.

Topsail Island, NC
Level Contributor
977 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Topsail review right on....

The very northernmost 1/4 to maybe 1/2 mile of Topsail Island is experiencing severe erosion problems. Other than that, you won't find too many problems.

I recently walked the beach at high tide and the Topsail Dunes' beach wasn't too bad, maybe you were thinking of the Topsail Reef? That one has no beach at high tide.

As for beach nourishment, the US government is trying to get out of the business of cost sharing for beach projects but all three Topsail Island towns have beach projects in the works that are being at least partly paid for by the government and partly by the residents, so I don't know why the chamber person told you what they did. The only area that is in question is the northernmost end of the island, which is not eligible for government funding. The local government there is still squabling there, so that's the only area that could indeed "wash away."

Mentioned in this post
Topsail Island
Topsail Island
North Carolina Coast, NC
ohio
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Topsail review right on....

I love the condo called Topsail Reef Love the strech of beach in front. NOT crowded at all. Had a 11 day stay there and want to go back for another 11 days-- Go stay you will not be disappointed and our rate was 1/2 of the other condos advertised for rental.... June Lyall

ohio
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Topsail review right on....

Loved the Topsail Reef Condos great quite open beach front. Dolphins all day long. The price was 1/2 of what the other rentals condos were. Great Price Great Place stayed 11 days and want to go back for more!! June Llyll

Get answers to your questions about Surf City
Recent Conversations