We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Realtors to avoid

New Jersey
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Realtors to avoid

My cousin rented through Island Realty last year and arrived at a filthy smoky 2 bedroom unit in Topsail Dunes. When she contacted the realtor they offered to send a cleaning crew on Monday (this happened on Sat.). She declined and they did nothing to compensate her for having to clean the unit. When she sent them a follow up letter when she got home she was ignored.

I rented this year from Access Realty and the 4 bedroom oceanfront home was dirty. There was sand and dirt around the entire perimeter of each room. There was sand in the tub and a tub mat with major mold on the backside. Dust all over the walls. Old menus for restaurants that closed last year in the kitchen. There were also mouse droppings in the kitchen drawers. When I alerted the realtor they claimed that the "cleaning inspector" probably didn't come inspect the home and that it was possible that the owners stayed in the home the prior week so they don't come inspect it? How gross.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
1,222 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Realtors to avoid

you and your cousin sure have some tough luck!

Topsail Island
Level Contributor
365 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Realtors to avoid

Like I said before You should have asked me,I could have spared you the pain.

Virginia
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Realtors to avoid

We used Treasure Realty. Our house was fantastic. Of course I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for" We paid over 6K with taxes stuff for a week in ocean front home. It was worth every penny. Treasure Realty was very responsive when we needed to call them about a maintenance item.

Staunton, Virginia
Level Contributor
187 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Realtors to avoid

Hey eTraveller -

When were you there last? We were there in July in a Treasure Realty house - it was deplorable. a shattered door took them 4 days to respond, AC broken, refrigerator was hot and a roof leak to beat the band - sounds like the person running island realty moved over to Treasure Realty!

We used to go to OBX and decided a few years back to try Topsail, but after this years experience, we probably heading back to OBX - Viullage Realty spoiled us...

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
45 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Realtors to avoid

I'm in Avon now, in a house rented by Midgett Realty. They've been wonderful. The house is lived in -- something you have to consider when you're renting down here, but very clean. We had a problem with our refrigerator and hot tub, and Midgett sent someone to look at it almost immediately.

Last year we used Surf or Sound Realty, which has a host of complaints lodged against them on this board. The house was fine, but they added a lot of extra fees that we weren't expecting when renting.

Good luck -- you'll find the right place!

Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Realtors to avoid

We rented through Treasure Realty. The office staff had a terrible attitude. So unprofessional. Topsail Island is a beautiful island but the staff at Treasure Realty need some help with their customer service. I would try someone who actually cares about their clients and are willing to help with your vacation needs.

Maryland
Level Contributor
23 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Realtors to avoid

The one we use is A-Beach-Place. (877) 884-2522. the condo is ALWAYS very clean, and often they supply fresh flowers to boot!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Realtors to avoid

I had a GREAT experience renting from Bryson & Associates in the past and will go back to them in the future. No Access Realty or Island Realty ever.

Harrison, New Jersey
Level Contributor
175 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Realtors to avoid

We have been to topsail the last couple of years and used Ward Realty. Never had any problems. Easy checkin and check out and the house was in nice shape.

North Carolina
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Realtors to avoid

Avoid Island Real Estate! When I vacationed on Topsail Island this year, I went through Island Real Estate and I sure did end up regretting it! I would advise everyone to steer clear of them.

When I arrived to pick up the keys to my rental property, Island Real Estate had rented the property to someone else and they gave me the keys to a different rental property. Unfortunately, I had neglected to bring my reservation confirmation so I couldn't prove their mistake at that time even though I told them that they had made a mistake.

To be fair, the agent did offer to refund my money, but who in the world would turn around and go back home after they had planned their vacation, looked forward to it for weeks, and had packed up their car with clothes, supplies, and groceries for a week? I didn't feel that I could give up my whole vacation because of their mistake, so I stayed in the rental property they had mistakenly assigned to me.

At the end of the week, I asked the owner to refund my $45.00 reservation fee (at the very least) because they had messed up my reservation, but she refused. She also refused to apologize for their mistake; she just said that she was sorry that my vacation wasn't everything that I hoped it would be.

The rental property that I had reserved had a much better view of the ocean, internet access, and a color scheme that I liked. I rented that particular property because I liked the features it had and I was very upset when Island Real Estate stuck me in another rental property instead.

It made it even worse when the owner wouldn't refund my reservation fee. Why should I be penalized for their mistake?

I plan to return to Topsail Island in the future because it's the nicest beach in North Carolina in my opinion, but I will never again go through Island Real Estate and I would never recommend them to anyone else. In fact, I will tell everyone I know to stay away from them.

Get answers to your questions about Surf City
Recent Conversations