We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry between Fort Fisher and Southport

Pottstown...
Level Contributor
1 post
80 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry between Fort Fisher and Southport

We stayed in Carolina Beach and took the ferry to Southport. We decided to leave our car on the Fort Fisher side because it looked as though the ferry docked in town as ferries do in other places we have visited. That is not the case here. The 2 mile walk was not difficult but due to the extra time to walk in and back we had less time to explore Southport. For travelers going the other way, there is a short trail near the ferry terminal which leads to the aquarium. Fort Fisher and the Fort Fisher recreation area are also walkable from the dock. We visited in December and the ferry was nearly filled to capacity with cars. During the summer, I can imagine there are times when no more cars are allowed on. Leaving your car behind and "hoofing it" on either side is an option.

Southport, North...
Level Contributor
54 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry between Fort Fisher and Southport

It is definitely a healthy walk into downtown southport from the ferry terminal. My wife and I always ride bikes on the ferry. That's the best way. There's always room for a couple of bikes, so you won't have to wait in line with the cars if it is packed.

Edited: 8:37 pm, January 24, 2012
2. Re: Ferry between Fort Fisher and Southport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 pm, December 06, 2015