We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seafood In Southern Shores area?

Nutley NJ
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Seafood In Southern Shores area?

Were staying in Southern Shores last week of August. Can anyone suggest a good Seafood restaurant close by?

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,069 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seafood In Southern Shores area?

Went to Sunset Grille. Food was good- not spectacular. can be long lines around sunset for obvious reasons. Got there relatively early and had a nice time.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
586 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seafood In Southern Shores area?

roadside grill or red sky cafe in Duck has better food than sunset grille but not the view. Go to Sunset Grille for drinks on the deck then somewhere else for dinner.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
586 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seafood In Southern Shores area?

hmmm had some really good fish tacos at a small restaurant in in Nags Head. It was past the Wright Bros, on the left next to a few fast food restaurants. Can any of the experts help me remember the name?? Has a small bar with sports on tv..nautical feel. fish tacos came blackened or regular. I love fish tacos and these were good!

Murrysville, PA
Level Contributor
313 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seafood In Southern Shores area?

Southern Shores doesn't have a lot in the way of restaurants. With regards to the fish tacos, you may be thinking of Mama Kwan's - very good food.

The Sunset Grille has an excellent view - but their food AND service leave a llot to be desired.

Blue Point in Duck is excellent (try the Shrimp and Grits) - we also like the Roadside Cafe in Duck. Have heard good things about a new restaurant Paper Canoe also in Duck.

Colington Cafe on Colington Island is another of our favorite restaurants.

Level Contributor
13 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seafood In Southern Shores area?

Do not go to Sunset Grille for the food. Drinks and view only.

Blue Point is far better and is worth a visit. However, we've stayed in Southern Shores the last 8 years and I have yet to find a better-than-average seafood restaurant within 30minutes drive. There are plenty of good restaurants and some 'ok' seafood places , but I can find equivalent or better seafood at home (land-locked PA). I think the OBX restaurants are playing to the masses and there may not be a market need for nicer seafood places.

As an alternative, I would recommend takeout. Crab legs, she-crab soup, spiced shrimp, steamed blue-claws (if you like that), crab cakes....Steamer pots are fun.

You can mix and match whatever the family likes. We like Dockside in Duck for takeout. The she-crab soup is good, the clams are good, crab cakes aren't bad...the crab legs and lobster are frozen so the same as everywhere.

Tommy's in Duck has some very nice spiced shrimp.

There is a 'gourmet' shop at the south end of Southern Shores just before the 158 junction off 12. Can't remember the name, but they have some nice seafood offerings as well.

In my opinion taking out the seafood and eating on your porch with a nice beer is a better beach seafood experience than can be found in the OBX restaurants.

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seafood In Southern Shores area?

Coastal Provisions is the gourmet place Mike was thinking about. It is well hidden behind Southern Shores realty and across from the Crown gas station. They have good fish and seafood there cooked or raw. It's worth a visit if you are in the area of Southern Shores. Blue Point is good and Red Sky can be. Avoid Sunset Grill. In Kitty Hawk, on the beach road, are Ocean Blvd at MP 2.5 and Awful Arthurs at MP 6. Farther down is Gombay's, Food Dudes and Kill Devil Grill.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,069 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seafood In Southern Shores area?

What do folks think of Black Pelican? Gets pretty good reviews. It was right around the corner from where we stayed but didn't get a chance to go in although it was always busy.

Nutley NJ
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seafood In Southern Shores area?

Any Thoughts on Jimmys Seafood Buffet in Kitty Hawk?

Level Contributor
13 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seafood In Southern Shores area?

Black Pelican is okay, one of the better mid-range restaurants on OBC, but nothing special. I've eaten there twice with family and it wasn't bad, but nothing to rave about. It's a step above Red Lobster for seafood, but not a huge step.

I've never eaten at Jimmy's. The horrendous TA reviews (a 2!) were enough to keep me away.

Murrysville, PA
Level Contributor
313 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seafood In Southern Shores area?

You'll be hard pressed to find much local seafood at Jimmy's - most of it probably comes from China and Vietnam. Kelly's on the Bypass is very good.

Get answers to your questions about Southern Shores