We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sanford for 8 weeks

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
Save Topic
Sanford for 8 weeks

Hi, I'm from Hong Kong and will go to Sanford with my husband (he's on training) in Oct 2011. Since no one asks a question in this forum since 2007, wondering if there's any changes to this town.

Also, I would like to ask for suggestions for weekend activities. Anything we can do in Sanford? Or, should we drive to other larger cities?

I'm a bit worried about how to spend 8 weeks in Sanford. Any adult recommended ballet / Jazz classes in Sanford?

6 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
356 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sanford for 8 weeks

You're not going to find much of anything to do in Sanford that I can think of.

Your best bet for any daily things to do is a drive to Raleigh where you will find a variety of museums, etc, etc....

Weekends you might be interested in driving down to Wilmington (2 hr 30 min) or some of the coastal areas like Ft. Fisher, Bald Head Island, Southport, etc, etc.

Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Sanford for 8 weeks

I agree not much to do in Sanford. Nice small town, nice people. Quiet, residential place. That's about it.

Level Contributor
1,302 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sanford for 8 weeks

This is going to be very different from Hong Kong, so you will probably have an adjustment period. Keep your spirits up, though. North Carolina is a lovely state and I think there will be things about it that you will appreciate.

Southerners tend to be very polite so I think you will be very comfortable in that regard. You will also be fairly close to the states of Virginia, Tennessee, South Carolina and Georgia; you will not lack for places to check out!

Here are a couple of websites that may be interesting for you to check out:

It is by no means a complete list--just something to get you started-- in addition to what KTfromNC mentioned above.

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sanford for 8 weeks

Geez, I'll admit Sanford is no Hong Kong, but I don't think it's necessary to send the OP out of state to find things to do! How about:

--Raven Rock State Park

--a canoe trip on the Cape Fear

--dinner at the Steele Pig

--paddle boating or fishing at San-Lee Park

--fishing/boating/swimming at Jordan Lake

--golfing in Pinehurst, or at one of several Lee County courses

--a visit to the potteries in Seagrove

...just off the top of my head. And there are several dance studios, as well as the Heart of Carolina Jazz Society.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,387 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sanford for 8 weeks

Some links for jazzarcise, etc:

Ballet: Ms Renee Dance Studio

100 Wicker Street, Sanford, NC 27330-4252

(919) 777-9358

It will be a major shock, so you should join some group, such as:

It was definitely a major shock for me, moving to Charlotte from Canada 1992; & Charlotte was a lot mor cosmopolitan even then... Good advice by

others to visit other places. Chapel Hill/Carboro are the most tolerant of other cultures. You can always visit Charlotte during some Asian events, especially...

& you can take Megabus to Charlotte, Richmond or Washington, some cheap fares - check after Oct. 13:

Some $5 fares from Raleigh/Durham to Washington DC. right now...

Edited: 2:59 pm, July 20, 2011
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sanford for 8 weeks

Yes, Arby, your point is well-taken; I got carried away. Wherever I have moved, I have drug out the map right off the bat and basically figured out everything I can do within about a 6-7 hour radius. As a result, I have never felt bored--no matter where I've been. It's an odd, long-standing habit and it slipped through on my post without my even realizing it. Your comment gave me a good chuckle at myself today. Thanks for being so gracious!

Reply to: Sanford for 8 weeks
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sanford
Recent Conversations
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travelers like you.
Join TripAdvisor