We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family of 2 adults and 3 kids off 4 snow exprience Mt Buller

Which Mount Buller hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur...
4 posts
Save Topic
Family of 2 adults and 3 kids off 4 snow exprience Mt Buller

Will be travelling to Melbourne between 31/5 - 9/6 and plan to visit mt Buller on the 6/6 - 8/6. Ive sort out accomodation fo 2 nights on Buller but cant seem to find any transport for my trip up there. My quesions:-

1. Is it advisable to drive up to Mansfield and take coach to go up?

2. is there a minivan or private coach that goes to mt Buller from melbourne, how much?

3. Do i realy need 2 nights up there for 1st time snow experience for the kids (snow play only).?

4. Whats the average temperature during early June? Will i need lot of clothes?

5. If driving (car hire), do i need snow chain up to Mansfield in early June?

6. I got 1 kid with mild Asthmatic, is it safe up there for him?

Appreciate your kind views and guidance, TQ

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family of 2 adults and 3 kids off 4 snow exprience Mt Buller

That weekend is the official opening of the ski season, so I think that is also when the shuttles start running. I know there is one that goes from Melbourne but I'm not sure if its running right at the start of the season.

Be prepared for there not actually being any snow though. The start of June is very early for snow, the last couple of years there hasn't been any until a month later. You may end up just having a holiday with lovely mountain scenery I'm sorry to say.

Kuala Lumpur...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Family of 2 adults and 3 kids off 4 snow exprience Mt Buller

Wow it'll be a waste of 2 nights if there's no snow show up the mountain. TQ LOstris for the fair intel. I may have to replan my route to the mountains and probably just take a drive to Mansfield and decide there and then. If reports says its snowing, then I'll just park my car there n hop onto the bus n go up. With my family n walk in to any lodging. If no snow, then I'll just enjoy the sightseeing turn back home the same day. Any other opinion ?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,529 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family of 2 adults and 3 kids off 4 snow exprience Mt Buller

I wouldn't waste your money staying on the mountain. As mentioned, there's no way of knowing if there will be snow until a couple of days before. We sometimes get light snowfalls in May, but the snow usually goes by the end of the day.

Maybe look at staying in Mansfield, which should be cheaper, and doing a day trip up the mountain by bus.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family of 2 adults and 3 kids off 4 snow exprience Mt Buller

Re: asthma. IF there is snow when you're here (unlikely), and IF you are skiing & exercising, the only issue with asthma is if your child gets cold or exercised -induced asthma. If this is the case, then you would need to take a puff of your ventolin beforehand.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
296 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family of 2 adults and 3 kids off 4 snow exprience Mt Buller

Opening weekend always leaves a bit to be desired. If you want t ski even if there is enough cover they usually only operate up to 7 lifts. This is providing there is enough snow cover.

If you are looking for only snow play then you will be happy enough BUT make sure you check the Snow Cameras. These will give you a better idea of what you are in for.

Opening Weekend is always busy but generally you will be able to get some accommodation. As a general rule you will not be able to book a one night stay. Most places have a two night stay for a reason, why take a one night stay when you are guaranteed to a two night stay.

The bonus of staying Opening Weekend is that they always have special events on for kids and they always have a fireworks display.

With snow chains, all over night vehicles are required to carry snow chains, doesn't matter when you come up when the resort is open. These can be hired at numerous places on the way up. Be warned if you are hiring a car you will need to get extra insurance for snow cover.

Generally if you hire a 4WD you will not need to fit the chains. If the car you hire is a diesel make sure you fill up with Alpine Diesel. If it freezes overnight you will not be able to start your car. Anything below -4 will turn the diesel into a sort of wax so you will have to be towed off the mountain.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,529 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family of 2 adults and 3 kids off 4 snow exprience Mt Buller

**** The OP was planning their trip for June 2014, I think they have already been! ****

7. Re: Family of 2 adults and 3 kids off 4 snow exprience Mt Buller

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, October 12, 2015