We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can we drive up all the way to our accommodation ?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Can we drive up all the way to our accommodation ?

Hi, we are 2 group of families of 4 adults and 5 kids and we will be staying at one of the Discobulos apartment at Mt Buller.

My main concern is whether my Honda odyssey will be able to drive (from Melbourne) all the way up to where our accommodation is? The other family have a Ford Territory which is obviously a 4WD. Do we drive up to a certain parking location and will be taken in a taxi or free shuttle bus to our rental apartment? Just a bit confuse with the information. Hope someone can share their similar situation with me. We will be going in July during school holidays.

Cheers

Voon

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,620 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can we drive up all the way to our accommodation ?

Hi dragonvoon,

I've only been to Mt Buller in Autumn so I can't help you with driving there in Winter. Have a look at the link below it should help until someone who drives this road in winter and might have some better ideas with their local knowledge.

mtbuller.com.au/Winter/…Driving

Safe travels - Robert

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,572 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can we drive up all the way to our accommodation ?

From what I understand, only 4WD's are allowed beyond the car parks in winter. It's been years since I stayed on the mountain but I believe there are taxi's which will take you to your accommodation, this info is on the Mt Buller website I think. I have only done day trips recently & I usually take the chairlift up the mountain from the car park, to start ski-ing.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
386 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can we drive up all the way to our accommodation ?

Pretty sure you can drive to one of the car parks halfway up the mountain and then take a 4wd taxi up to your hotel. You may be required to carry chains after you leave Merrijig where the ascent starts-but need only fit them if the signs say so.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can we drive up all the way to our accommodation ?

Hi dragonvoon,

It works like this: During summer you can drive right up into the village and to the door of your accommodation, but during winter only resort vehicles are allowed in the village and the rest of us punters can't get beyond the car parks which are about 1.5km down the mountain. Check out this link: mtbuller.com.au/Winter/…Driving or read on.

So, you drive up through Mansfield (where you can hire chains if you need them - note: as an overnight visitor you are required to carry chains) and about 45mins down the road you get to the Resort gates at Mirimbah. This is the bottom of the mountain and to this point the road is pretty flat. You can also hire chains at the Mirimbah store if you didn't get them in Mansfield. From this point, you drive through the gates, pay your resort entry fee (about $40 per day) and head on up the mountain. This bit of the road is steep and winding and you may be required to fit chains depending on conditions. If so there will be sings and an obvious chain fitting bay on the side of the road. The people at the gate will probably tell you if they are fitting chains or not when you go through.

You continue up the mountain until you get to the car park. When you arrive an attendant will tell you where to park. Then you need to get that last 1.5km to the village. There are three ways to do this, but if you have luggage, only one way is really practical - a 4WD taxi. This will cost you $20 per adult each way. The taxi will meet you in the overnight car park and drop you at your lodge. The same in reverse on the way back. Check out their web site for details and note they charge extra from lots of luggage: http://www.mmbl.com.au/taxi_service.html

The other two ways are for day trippers: A free shuttle bus operates between the car parks and the village centre but you're not allowed to take luggage on the bus. People have been known to push the boundaries of day-pack v luggage and if you're traveling light you might get away with it, but if you have several bags, an esky, a few pairs of skis, etc, you will need the taxi. The third way, also for day trippers is the chairlift that runs from the car park area straight to the slopes. Not an option with luggage.

Hope the snow keeps falling for you.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can we drive up all the way to our accommodation ?

Wow..thanks guys for the info especially Jonmerry :). Really appreciate the info you provided. That explanation make more sense to me and now I know what to expect and what to bring, I don't think I'll bring the whole house :) but only the essentials. And I'll keep the rice cooker at home too :)

Thanks again! Kids are excited and so am I..

Cheers

Voon

6. Re: Can we drive up all the way to our accommodation ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 pm, June 13, 2015