We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone that has used "Tour Barossa" for a private wine tour?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone that has used "Tour Barossa" for a private wine tour?

Will be visiting the Barossa Valley in the fall and am looking for a company to do a private wine tour for two people. Interested in doing boutique wineries for tastings. Have a fair bit of wine knowledge already, so not looking for much general wine education, more insight into the local area and smaller producers. "Tour Barossa" has caught my eye as an option - looking for any feedback on people who have done a tour with them in the past, or on any other recommendations also!

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Barossa Valley
Barossa Valley
South Australia, Australia
8 replies to this topic
Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,637 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone that has used "Tour Barossa" for a private wine tour?

I saw a Tour Barossa bus last week at Seppeltsfield and those aboard were having a great time. I seem to recall that this company is a subsiduary of GRS, Getaways Reservation Services in Tanunda which is a multi-award winning tourism operation. I would say that the tours would be cost effective and flexible, depending when you are going and the number of people you are travelling with.

If you want a one-on-one type tour with a chauffeur who is a wine connoisseur then you will pay more than a tour barossa excursion. If you're happy in your own knowledge of wine and don't need your hand held for a tasting session then Tour Barossa would be fine.

Mentioned in this post
Seppeltsfield
Seppeltsfield
Barossa Valley, Australia
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone that has used "Tour Barossa" for a private wine tour?

Hi TorontoTravel...

My parents along with their 'mad mob' friends recently did the 'Tour Barossa'.

Bear in mind this group is in their late 70's and early 80's but all 'with it'.

They booked the tour at the Information Centre.

The bus was about a 12seater although there were only eight in the group.

Dad said what he liked was the fact that if you drove yourself you would miss seeing so much.

Their driver/guide was Anne a local girl and she was excellent. She collected them from their motel and returned them 'safely' back after their tour (included in the price) $85 per person/5 hour tour.

Anne asked if they would like to go anywhere in particular and my parents had taken their 'flagons' to refill so their first stop was Peter Lehmann's Winery (really good).

Mum said "had we known, it was just up the road and around the corner from our motel" walking distance!! I did say previously they were 'with it"

They also visited, Maggi Beer's shop, Seppeltsfield(lady who spoke to them re the winery etc was really good), Bethany, Chateau Yaldara, and a couple of other wineries, they had lunch(a platter for 2)with drinks!! at another winery.(sorry they can't recall the names)

They all had a great day & no doubt slept soundly that night!!

Mentioned in this post
Seppeltsfield
Seppeltsfield
Barossa Valley, Australia
Adelaide, Australia
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone that has used "Tour Barossa" for a private wine tour?

Would highly reccommend Tour Barossa especially a driver called Anne, recently used their service very impressed with ongoing communication, payment options, flexiblity, cleanliness of our bus, there was room for 11 people. Had recently hired them to transport us from accommodation in Tanunda to Peter Lehmann Winery, excellent time, Anne the driver was so patient with us, would use them again.

Uijeongbu, South...
Level Contributor
108 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone that has used "Tour Barossa" for a private wine tour?

We are using Barossa Experience Tours in October. Private tour for the three of us. One of the days on our itinerary that I am most looking forward to.

Not sure when in the fall you are going, but I will definitely come back and post a review of our tour.

Take care,

Julia

Mentioned in this post
Barossa Experience Tours
Barossa Experience Tours
10 Reviews
Tanunda, Australia
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone that has used "Tour Barossa" for a private wine tour?

Thanks for the help everyone! I just got back from my trip to Australia and went on the private Barossa tour on October 17. Had a great time and would highly recommend to others. Our driver, John, was very friendly and did a great job at telling us about the area, wineries and history of the valley. He asked us what we were looking for and adapted the itinerary accordingly - very flexible and sought our opnion of what we were seeing and adjusted based on what we were enjoying/commenting on.

We managed 5 wineries in the 5 hour tour (with lunch) - which is about the right amount from my experience - though our original plan for this day was to do 6 or 7, we got caught up in conversation with the winemakers/staff at the wineries which took away some time - but was a great experience I wouldn't trade for more visits.

Couple of standout wineries from the day that I would recommend to anyone - Linfield Road (best Cab Sauvignon I have had in a while and now looking to see what I can do to personally import into Canada!) and Greenock Creek (unfortunately only open a few weeks a year until they sell out).

While not covered on the tour, have to recommend Two Hands and Torbrek as well - great wines and staff!

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,637 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone that has used "Tour Barossa" for a private wine tour?

Glad you enjoyed our lovely Barossa... I think that Tour Barossa appear do be doing well, I've only heard good reports so far. Glad you enjoyed our wonderful wines ... Wine lovers in South Australia (like me !) are certainly spoilt for choice when it comes to amazing wineries and top quality wines.

Mentioned in this post
North Adelaide...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone that has used "Tour Barossa" for a private wine tour?

Hi, it would be an advantage to know if you are staying in the Barossa Valley or commuting from Adelaide, as many tour operators based in the Barossa charge to pick up from Adelaide and there are many accredited tour operators in Adelaide. If it a personalised tours you require I would suggest one of the private Limousines that conduct wine tours as they will tailor a tour to suit you and your needs not a bus load with minimum stops not of your choice.

Edited: 11:57 pm, March 08, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Barossa Valley
Barossa Valley
South Australia, Australia
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,318 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone that has used "Tour Barossa" for a private wine tour?

Ummm -the original post is nearly 2 years old!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND you might also note that the OP has posted a follow up of their tour 18 months ago..

Reply to: Anyone that has used "Tour Barossa" for a private wine tour?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tanunda