We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do at Litchfield

Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
301 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
What to do at Litchfield

Hi,

I'm a bit researched out having planned our trip to Darwin, Kakadu and Katherine. I know there are many posts on Litchfield to trawl through but I'm hoping you will be so kind as to give me a short cut.

We will leave Katherine on a Thursday morning in late June and are due back in Darwin late on Friday afternoon having stayed overnight in Batchelor.

What to do in Litchfield? Suggestions for 2 x 1/2 day welcome. We also have the option to stay in Litchfield Safari Camp instead of Batchelor if this location offers any advantage?

We have a 4WD vehicle so can access 4WD roads. I'm keen to see waterfalls, to swim and see the termite mounds.

I'm fit and travelling with my 12 yo but my 70 yo Mum is along for the ride. She has no mobility issues and is pretty able but no really hard core hiking options will suit her.

Thanks in advance for your help/support.

Kim in Sydney

(first time visitor to Top End - very excited - 7 days to go).

21 replies to this topic
Sydney
Level Contributor
67 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do at Litchfield

Hi Kim,

We arrive in Darwin for our family top end trip in 12 days doing the big loop for 2 weeks. We plan on visiting the magnetic termite mounds, buley rock holes, tolmer, wangi & Florence falls whilst in Litchfield, just to name a few things. Have heaps of fun & stay safe!

Edited: 9:22 am, June 13, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,119 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do at Litchfield

That's quite a long time in that area so hope you like swimming! We visited all the areas Yo-Willis mentioned in about 4 hours & swam at most of them. Wangi Falls has a nice picnic area so I guess you could spend the day there. The steps down to Florence Falls are very steep & require a reasonable fitness. You will be there during the week which will be great. We were there on a sunday & it was very crowded, particularly the car parks.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,430 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do at Litchfield

Hi Kim

With a 4WD you can enter Litchfield from the south. Take the Daly River Road ( the turn off the Stuart Hwy is just past Hayes Creek) and once you enter the park visit you can visit Suprise Creek Falls, Sandy Creek Falls, Blythe Homestead and the Lost City before you get to the main sealed road. You do have to cross the Reynolds River so check the road conditions before you go.

That much would easily take up your time the first day, and from where you will come out staying at the Litchfield Safari Camp makes sense.

Next day you can visit The Cascades, Wangi Falls, Tolmer Falls, Florence Falls, Buley Rockholes and the Termite Mounds before heading back to Darwin via Batchelor.

There is plenty to do there to fill you time. More info at this website: …nt.gov.au/parks/find/litchfield

Edited: 6:41 pm, June 13, 2014
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,964 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do at Litchfield

With the Reynolds it is currently not opened past Sandy Creek. There are three water crossings or so. At the Reynolds it is steep bank and will be deep early in the season. A snorkel on the car would be a good idea and it is a rocky bottom so getting through is tricky at times. If you are not comfortable doing this crossing its a long way back around to the Batchelor entrance to Litchfield- like a detour of 2 hours at least. Getting stuck in these would not be my idea of fun as they can be inhabited by crocodiles.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,076 posts
1,383 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do at Litchfield

Definitely check the road conditions before heading off on the dirt tracks. We also did the above route Shaz mentioned which was heaps of fun. However; as Hamiriver stated you don't want to be getting stuck in croc infested waters !!

Also don't forget to have lunch / coffee at the Monsoon Café you might be lucky to find an Aboriginal Artist exhibiting their works which happened to us & we brought some fab artwork. The café is located 4 kms past the Wangi Falls turnoff.

Sydney
Level Contributor
67 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do at Litchfield

Hi Mia,

Should've clarified the time we are in Litchfield. Just for 3 days, we are doing "the loop" as in Darwin-Mary River-Kakadu-Katherine-Mataranka-Litchfield-Darwin.

Yep we love swimming but not that much for 12 days in the one spot...lol.

Definitely looking forward to the whole trip

Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
301 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do at Litchfield

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I had read that you could enter the Park from the south via 4WD.

However, I'm not an experienced 4WD driver so not sure I would be comfortable with the river crossing if it is a steep bank and the river is relatively deep. It's a hire vehicle - not sure it is fitted with a snorkel either.

I will check road condition when I'm closer to the travel date but if I do end up coming in via Batchelor - on the "2WD roads" is there any advantage to staying at the safari camp site (in one of its permanent tents)? I currently have a reservation at the Big4 which rates slightly better on TA but can cancel that without penalty.

And if I can't cross the Reynolds River, will I be able to visit Surprise Creek Falls, Sandy Creek Falls, Blythe Homestead and the Lost City etc.?

Thanks again for your helpful comments.

Kim

Sydney

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
320 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do at Litchfield

There is usually no problem accessing most of the places you mention from the sealed road side in the park. However, check out the 'What's open page at …nt.gov.au/parks/access#.UW_ykLVTBr0 first. Currently it shows that the Lost City track is still closed as is Surprise Creek falls. Blyth Homestead is open. To get to that you have a couple of water crossings to do but you should have no problems (we can get through in our little Suzuki Jimny with no problems).

If I was there for a couple of days, I would rather stay at the safari location instead of Batchelor. There will be a LOT more distance going to and fro to Batchelor. From the Safari Park you could head back to Darwin via the Cox Penninsular road as well. Some gravel road which is no problems with a 2WD so none for you in your 4WD. There are some sights to see along the way such as the Bamboo Creek Tin Mine and the Cascades (if you haven't already seen them). Also, if you think you have over budgeted on time you want to spend in the park, if you leave via the back road in the morning, you will be going past the Territory Wildlife and Berry Springs which are great to visit as well.

Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
301 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do at Litchfield

Mia, were you saying 2 x 1/2 day and one overnight is quite a long time in Litchfield? Or were you responding to post from Yo-Wilis?

Thanks Yo-Willis too for sharing your plans - enjoy the trip - we might pass you as we tour Darwin-Kakadu-Katherine-Litchfield-Darwin fr 20/6 - 30/6.

Kim in Sydney

Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
301 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do at Litchfield

Thanks Darwinite - that all makes much sense to me. Think we will go with the Safari Camp option - sure the Big4 is good but I like the idea of staying inside the Park for lots of reasons.

Kim in Sydney

Reply to: What to do at Litchfield
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Batchelor