We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dawn to afternoon in Litchfield

Sydney
Level Contributor
8 posts
160 reviews
Save Topic
Dawn to afternoon in Litchfield

I will be staying overnight in Batchelor and plan to spend the next day in Litchfield. I hope to be on the road at dawn, but need to leave the park at about 3pm to head to Katherine. i will be in a 2WD vehicle.

Can anyone suggest a route to maximize my time in the park, OR what i really must see.

Thanks

7 replies to this topic
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,501 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dawn to afternoon in Litchfield

Hi Stuart, with that plan you should still have plenty of time to do the highlights of Litchfield.

As you have to end up in Katherine I would drive straight through the park to The Cascades and then make you way back towards Batchelor stopping at the sites:

- Cascades - be prepared to walk a bit and cross a couple of small creeks to get to this broad but shorter set of falls

- Wangi Falls - very accessible, good swimming spot, there is a walk over the top of the falls if you are interested

- Tolmer Falls - choose from a short or longer walk to a viewing platform over the falls

- Florence Falls - my favourite - short walk to a viewing platform then if you wish head down the stairs to the plunge pool. Have a swim if you wish then head back to the car park via the creek walk.

- Buley Rockholes - a series of rock pools near Florence Falls - another good swimming spot.

- termite mounds - they are big and impressive.

Then off to Katherine.

Enjoy

Sydney
Level Contributor
8 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dawn to afternoon in Litchfield

Thanks heaps ShazDwn

Stuart

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,253 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dawn to afternoon in Litchfield

You will have to backtrack on this route as you come in and out on a sealed road. This is exactly what I would have said. Cascades is one of my favourite walks and not too many tourists on a short time frame do it as "they have to walk"!!! LOL

Its a great walk though and pools will be nice and empty at the early hour. I suggest though not doing the whole walk and just going to the lower pools, you can then climb the rocks to get to some of the plateau pools.

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,359 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dawn to afternoon in Litchfield

I won't change any of the advice you've already been given just add a different perspective.

- The walk over the top of Wangi Falls; a bit of a let down for me. Some time on the boardwalk to the right of the falls amongst the trees, the spiders and the flying foxes is great but the whole loop only if you have plenty of time.

- Tolmer Falls. For some reason my personal favourite on the 2WD route. And especially upstream on the longer walk.

- Florence Falls. Overpopulated at times but really nice and more so if you go swimming.

- Buley Rockholes. I always get beaten by the 'If the Carpark is full the holes are busy' sign. Nowhere to park :( Wet season or dry season.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,253 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dawn to afternoon in Litchfield

agree with your sentiments Noel- weekdays are much more restrained!

Wanai falls walks is nice- you can jump into the rock pools at the top of this walk - however, you can see just as much on a cascades walk and Tolmer walk.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,501 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dawn to afternoon in Litchfield

Good insights from Noel, I also prefer the longer walk at Tolmer over the Wangi walk.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
325 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dawn to afternoon in Litchfield

Depending on when you coming, whether or not to do the Wangi falls loop walk may be a moot point anyway as it was recently reported that:

"The Parks and Wildlife Commission of the NT advises that the 1.6km long Wangi Falls loop walk and raised walkway below the falls will be closed for eight weeks from 30th September .

Acting District Manager Norm Greenfield said a new crocodile fence would be installed under the raised walkway to further enhance visitor safety."

If you are around when it is open and are a bit put off by the comments here, at least do the walk around the right up through the rainforest to the top of the observation tower as that is the nicest part of the walk anyway, then back again. Not too far and lovely.

Reply to: Dawn to afternoon in Litchfield
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Batchelor