We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gaspee peninsula

Which Gaspe hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
gaspee peninsula

We are thinking of travelling to Gaspee from Toronto on Aug 28th, with a stop over around Quebec City. We plan to stay 2 nights in either Gaspee or Perce. Any suggestions. We'll be travelling with 2 teenagers.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,629 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: gaspee peninsula

Gaspé or Percé are a 15 / 16 hours drive from Toronto so this is a lot of driving for such a short time there.

As much as I love the Gaspé Peninsula I would not attempt to do it from Toronto in less than 6 days round trip.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: gaspee peninsula

From Toronot to Gaspe is about 15 hours driving time each way. I agree with the above poster and think that you'd need more time to do that trip. You'd be better off visiting Quebec City which is 9 hours away and still a pretty full day of driving.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
3,895 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: gaspee peninsula

The OP is visiting Quebec City, and then continuing to the Gaspesie. Assuming that "stop over" means overnight. Starting a road trip August 28 gives exactly rickb's suggested 6 days until the end of the Labour Day Weekend, when presumably the teenagers have to be back for school -- so maybe the two nights being asked about are just part of a longer trip? Perhaps clarify, debnath?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
533 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: gaspee peninsula

Its about 1600kms from Quebec City around the Gaspe and back to Quebec City and you've got how many days to play with? Your 2 teenagers better like scenery as thats about all there is to a trip like this, my 2 teenagers would be bored stiff doing a trip like that

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,648 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: gaspee peninsula

Hi Brampton!

When we did it, we chose Percé. Unless you have a special reason for wanting to overnight in the city of Gaspé, you'll almost certainly want to chose Percé.

Gaspé is an unremarkable big city, the business center of the eastern end of the peninsula. It's close to Forillon National Park as well, but the city has nothing special on its own.

Percé is where the famous Rock is located, and we found the view of the Rock to be every bit as impressive as the tourist build-up. In some cases, you can even walk to the base of the Rock. It's also a charming village, filled with souvenir shops, restaurants and hotels. You can wander along the shore and into nooks and crannies of the village. Nearby are other stony sights, like the Three Sisters and the cliffs behind. Bonaventure Island you can reach by a tour boat, or just sail around it and see the extraordinary number of sea birds.

The best scenery is along the north shore of the peninsula, east from Rimouski and Matane. The road runs right along the St. Lawrence, and it's a good fast highway. It's quite hilly too, which enhances the scenery. There are some modest attractions along the way, like Cape Chat and a large wind turbine farm, We liked this drive a lot.

The south shore of the peninsula, the Bay Chaleur side, has several towns, but it's more built up and we found the road slower and less interesting.

Happy travels, and let me know if you want info about choosing accommodations in Percé. August is high season, but the prices drop after Labor Day.

David

capetien10@gmail.com

Edited: 10:06 am, August 01, 2013
Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: gaspee peninsula

thanks a lot for the information. Probably we do not have enough time this summer to spare for this wonderful trip. I'll plan and ask for more information maybe in 2014.

7. Re: gaspee peninsula

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 03, 2014