We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping around Gaspe Peninsula

Which Gaspe hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
boston
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Camping around Gaspe Peninsula

My husband and I want to tour the peninsula starting night 1 (August 5th) in Perce and go along the coastal rte 132 (Gaspe, Cap-Chat, Matane, Rimouski) and spening last night somewhere in Levis area before heading home. Looking for advise on how to break up trip. For example, 2 or 3 nights in Forillon National Park, Cap-Bon-Ami? We have 5 or 6 nights, if needed, and prefer camping on or with view of the water, but wouldn't mind a night in a recommended motel. We are sight-seers, not hikers. My husband loves to fish and we will be traveling with a dog. How would you break up the trip? Where to stay and for how long? Places to eat and sights not to miss! I know I'm asking a lot, hope I gave you enough info. Thanks in advance!

Montreal
Level Contributor
221 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping around Gaspe Peninsula

Hi Beached08,

I stayed at Camping Cote Surprise in Perce (http://www.campingperce.com) a few years ago and I loved the view over the Rocher Perce and the Bonaventure Island. The island is a must see, with a little hike to see thousand of Northen Gannets, but dogs are not allowed on the island and in most of the provincial parks (SEPAQ). Fortunately for you, the Forillon Park is a national park where you can have your dog on leash.

If you have your own fishing gear you can try to fish the maquereau on the dock at Perce. (I dont know if they rent fishing gear).

I hope this will help you to start your vacation.

Steph

toronto
Level Contributor
289 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping around Gaspe Peninsula

Several years ago we stayed in Motel Beaurivage in Ste Anne des Monts and it was very pleasant, on the water, nice little town. Also located near Gaspesie Park which is spectacularly mountainous and beautiful. The drive from there down Hwy 299 to New Richmond is also very nice but sounds like it may not fit into your tour geography. The Town of Gaspe near Forillon is very picturesquely situated overlooking the bay/harbour and offers several decent motels, inns, and a few restaurants and shops. If you are not hikers, perhaps one full day (2 nights) for Forillon is sufficient. Near Rimouski are famous Reford Botanical Gardens. Perce is a bustling tourist town, the main attractions being the Rock, Bonaventure Island, and browsing the shops and restaurants around town.

boston
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping around Gaspe Peninsula

Thank you Steph - I called and they say they always have availability for tent campers. Looks like a super nice spot that we will be checking out for sure!!

Edited: 5:11 pm, July 25, 2012
boston
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping around Gaspe Peninsula

Hi Mat,

Found to many dog fees and restrictions, so he's going to sit this one out. Still plan on Forillon and will also check out your other suggestions. Thanks for the information!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camping around Gaspe Peninsula

I recommned Parc national du Bic -- if you are going to leave your dog at home (he is not allowed in the parc!)

Bic is perfect for site seeing, not so much for hiking. If you don't mind a 20 minute, relatively flat walk, I recommend the camp ground "La Coulée". If you prefer to be closer to the car or have a trailer, they have other options (check out Sépaq's website for camp ground information for this and other parks). There are only three camp grounds in Bic - the one that the website notes is "close to the road" is an understatement - it is almost ON the road. Choose the other, farther away from the road/info centre - camp ground that allows trailers.

There are some reviews for that park on this website.

We also recently stayed in parc national de la gaspésie and loved it. There are a number of short hikes to waterfalls and viewpoints -- which might be more of the site seeing angle that you are looking for. A short 40km drive from St. Anne des Monts. We camped at Riviere - which I thought would be more wooded/secluded as it is the smallest. Wrong! I would recommend Mont-Albert camp ground - which looked nice and private.

Edited: 10:38 am, July 26, 2012
boston
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camping around Gaspe Peninsula

Very good information - thanks! Dog will be staying behind so I'm going to look into these places...

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,957 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Camping around Gaspe Peninsula

Definitely the dog was a big problemo!

So now I am just wondering what were your plans to get to Percé since it at the exact farthest point of the whole peninsula. Were you planning to drive to Percé directly from Boston, or from New Brunswick?

It can be of some importance since there are a few very good attractions to visit on the Chaleurs Bay side of the Peninsula, for example the Miguasha fossil site. So you might consider taking one or two nights en route BEFORE reaching Percé.

Then Percé is really a place for lookers and a bit of walking but no streneous trekking. The boat tour and the walk on Bonaventure Island to get to the gannets colonies will swallow a good half day, then you have all the point of views where you can drive to to marvel about the whole ares, the walk near the Rock and also a few less known spots, like the sentier des Failles inland that looks a bit like Switzerland, etc.

Then one night around Gaspé/Forillon and finally divide the others along the coast until Rivière du Loup. Have a look at the official website of the Ministry of Tourism to check the camping sites but also select the attractions that might suit you: bonjourquebec.com.

boston
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Camping around Gaspe Peninsula

Hi Rickb We will be spending the night before Perce in New Brunswick at Great Falls I think. It looks like its about a 7 hour drive away. Would like to hear about any good attractions we may be overlooking on the way. Thanks!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
707 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Camping around Gaspe Peninsula

I also suggest you do not miss Miguasha on your way from N-B: http://www.sepaq.com/pq/mig/ A two hour stop will be fine.

Maybe consider Bonaventure River, said to be one of the 10 most clear/limpid in the world. You can canoe or kayak with Cime Aventure: www.cimeaventures.com

or fish https:/…default.aspx

If you can manage articles in French, La Presse newspaper had a great serie of articles covering the Gaspésie in 35 steps with wonderful stops and shops: here is the first one lapresse.ca/voyage/…

10. Re: Camping around Gaspe Peninsula

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, August 09, 2013