We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Language problem?

South Pole
Level Contributor
12 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Language problem?

Hi,

My husband and I are thinking of taking a vacation in Gaspe,Quebec. But we don't speak a word of French. Will that be a problem?

Thanks.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
82,655 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Language problem?

Hi rsnToronto;

You don’t need to be able to speak French. You may wish to read these previous topics which have a considerable amount of positive comments.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g155033-i134-k2284…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g155033-i134-k1554…

Best Regards

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,845 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Language problem?

Well, in fact, until early XX Century the whole Gaspe area was populated in majority by English speakers. They were loyalist from the US, Irish, Jerzey and Guernesy natives.

Until the 1970s there were English unilingual towns scattered around the peninsula but mostly on the southern Baie des Chaleurs side. You will still find villages, like Carlton, that are still majoritarly English now but almost everybody but the seniors speak French too. As for the French, with the original tourist being mainly Americans (Georgia O'Keefe was in the firsts to discover this area) and the possibility of learning English from their neighbours it has always been part of the local hospitality to cater to English speaking visitors in their language. So no problems at all in that region.

Just be aware that the road signs are in French and the distances and speed are in kilometers. So you can probably get some flier explaining the translation at a tourist info center but many road sign are pictographs anyways. Somebody might also suggest a website later on this thread.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
82,655 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Language problem?

Hi rsnToronto;

Just to add to rickb's comments, here are some typical speed limits;

Highways: 100 km/h (60 mph)

City streets : 50 km/h (30 mph)

Playground / School zones : 30 km/h (20 mph)

Best Regards

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
3,943 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Language problem?

Hi Toronto!

Monoglot Anglos from Nova Scotia here. We drove around the Gaspe in September and had no trouble at all. Neither will you, in any serious way.

Although the Gaspe is French, most people in the tourism industry speak some basic English, or can easily fetch somebody who does. This goes for most every hotel and motel, restaurant and shop that a tourist might visit.

Here's a secret I learned, not from the Canadian government which just imagines that everyone in our country should be fluently bilingual, period, but from the Americans. Go to the Voice of America website and on internet radio, listen to a couple of programs in what VOA calls Special English. Listen carefully, because this is how you should speak English in the Gaspe: slowly, clearly, enunciating all consonants, keeping sentences as brief as you can, avoiding slang, and using international words wherever possible.

Most Quebeckers learn high school English the way you had to take high school French. They won't easily break into conversation in English, but may recognize key words when you're brief and clear, and speak slowly. We're able to do fine.

The biggest challenge will likely be the highway signs, but if you've ever been to Montreal or Hull, you've already vaulted over this hurdle. Most important messages will be clear. For the rest, make a guess or have a passenger look up the word in a pocket French-English dictionary.

Remember, as a Canadian, you're already more familiar with French than you think. You've seen bilingual packaging all your life. Not only that, but English is liberally sprinkled with French words brought to Britain by William the Conqueror in 1066. Your speed limit signs, in Toronto and in Gaspe, don't say "Speed Limit" like they do in Buffalo. They say "Maximum"!

I'm no better at it than you, and we had no trouble!

Happy travels, and let me know if I can help further!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

South Pole
Level Contributor
12 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Language problem?

Thanks,everyone,for taking the time to reply. Really appreciate all your help.

We were originally planning to go to the Bay Of Fundy but then changed our minds after seeing Gaspe on the map --it seems to have a fantastic location.

We have been to Montreal and Quebec City,we had no problems there at all as almost everyone seemed to understand English.Now with such a positive feedback we will definitely pay Gaspe a visit.

Have a lovely weekend !

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
82,655 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Language problem?

You're Welcome, rsnToronto !

Gaspe, Canada
14 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Language problem?

Hi,

I am resident of Gaspe.

Most of the population speak English.

if you have any questions on tourism etc... do not hesitate to ask!

Welcome to the Gaspe!!

Ann Smith

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Language problem?

TO QUEBECSPORTING,

Welcome aboard... would love to see you stick around TripAdvisor... we have a shortage of members from the Gaspe. Nice to have someone living in the region available to answer detailed Questions.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Gaspe, Canada
14 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Language problem?

Thanks for the welcome!!

Ann

10. Re: Language problem?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 11, 2010