We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looping the Gaspe Peninsula - clockwise or counterclockwise?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Topic
Looping the Gaspe Peninsula - clockwise or counterclockwise?

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to take my parents to drive around the gaspesie starting and ending in Quebec City in late July.

Day 1 - Quebec - Rimouski (le Bic national park on the way)

Day 2 - Staying in Rimouski to see the town and Les Jardins de Metis / rest for the coming long drive

Day 3 - Rimouski to Forillon

Day 4 & 5 - Forillon hiking, whale-watching

Day 6 - Perce and Ile Bonaventure

Day 7 - Head back to Rimouski

Day 8 - Rimouski to Quebec

I would like to know if I should do the loop clockwise or counterclockwise for scenery reasons.

Thank you!!!

Mentioned in this post
Quebec City
Quebec City
Quebec, Canada
Rimouski
Rimouski
Bas-Saint-Laurent, Canada
Perce
Perce
Gaspesie Region, Canada
7 replies to this topic
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,845 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looping the Gaspe Peninsula - clockwise or counterclockwise?

Scenery and driving reason. You will hit the best scenery first and then flatter les curvy road after Percé so that makes for a quicker return. We have done the whole way back from Percé to Québec City in one easy day with one stop to visit Historical Banc de Paspébiac and reststops.

One night only in Percé is awfully short though, May be one day in Forillon and then 2 nights in Percé it will be easy to drive from Forillon to Percé and spend the evening there. Next day be early to the ferry to Bonaventure Islands, ferry back every hour so you have some leeway and then can walk to Mont-Joli or close to the Rock base, visit the Interpretation Center or trek to the lookout at the summit of Mont-Sainte-Anne or Le Sentier des Failles.

Edited: 6:40 pm, March 29, 2017
Gaspesie Region...
Level Contributor
2,156 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looping the Gaspe Peninsula - clockwise or counterclockwise?

There is so much scenery that there is not one better way. Every time I go I see new vistas.

But yes, one night in Percé is not enough. Bonaventure Island is a full day and the boats can be cancelled due to weather or fog. It's best to stay 3 nights - plus, you can always go hiking in Forillon on a bad day in Percé since they are only about 90 minutes apart.

Montreal
Level Contributor
54 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looping the Gaspe Peninsula - clockwise or counterclockwise?

I never understood the whole looping the Gaspe Peninsula - clockwise or counterclockwise. It doesn't matter.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
19,495 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looping the Gaspe Peninsula - clockwise or counterclockwise?

Counterclockwise means the water is on the right side so if you want to stop at a lookout you are not crossing traffic. we would have never stopped for this photo if we had to cross traffic https://flic.kr/p/MCqV5B

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Looping the Gaspe Peninsula - clockwise or counterclockwise?

A friend told me counterclockwise has much better vistas on the river.

Banks, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,373 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looping the Gaspe Peninsula - clockwise or counterclockwise?

I agree that it makes no difference. When I circled Gaspesie I did it clockwise as that was convenient from where I started after ferrying over from mainland Quebec. On all the parts that are along the St. Lawrence you have no problem viewing it. Besides you sre always stopping and getting out of thr car.

Mentioned in this post
Gaspesie Region
Gaspesie Region
Quebec, Canada
Niagara Falls...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looping the Gaspe Peninsula - clockwise or counterclockwise?

Depends on what you want to see, if its seeing the St Lawrence open out to the ocean then go clockwise, I go every few years as I have family there and have gone both ways around and enjoyed it either way. Don't forget the Matapedia Valley and go into the mountains and see the only cariboo herd this far south, bit of a trip but worth it.

Reply to: Looping the Gaspe Peninsula - clockwise or counterclockwise?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted