We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Lloret de Mar Good for mid-30s crowd in late Oct.?

San Francisco...
12 posts
Save Topic
Is Lloret de Mar Good for mid-30s crowd in late Oct.?

Hello, I'm thinking of taking the train to Lloret de Mar from Barcelona on Oct 27 and Oct 28 following a conference I'm attending in Barcelona earlier in the week. I want to get out of Barcelona for a night or two, and from what I've read, Lloret de Mar looks to be an ideal spot. It's often referred to as a place for a younger party crowd. Do any of you who know it think it is generally interesting this time of year to someone like me in mid-30s? I like to go out for drinks, dancing, sit at the beach and see historic places. The descriptions make it sound as though many of the businesses in town may be closed down this time of year and mid-week. Looking at Guitart Monterrey for a hotel. Also wondering if I arrive the evening of Thur., Oct. 27 is it easy enough to catch a taxi to the hotel from the Blanes train station?

Lots of questions! I appreciate the help from anyone who replies.

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Blanes
Blanes
Costa Brava, Spain
Malgrat de Mar...
Destination Expert
for Lloret de Mar, Calella
Level Contributor
2,360 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Lloret de Mar Good for mid-30s crowd in late Oct.?

there will certainly be a lot of bars/clubs open on the friday night, but less on the thursday. therewill also still bea lot of people going to party.

your choice of hotel is a bit out of the way at the back of the resort, and although i would not put you off the hotel it may be better to choose a more central hotel.

a taxi from blaneswill cost around €20, but thebus to lloret meets the train at blanes and costs around €1.50. it drops you right in the middle of town.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa Teguise
Level Contributor
6,546 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Lloret de Mar Good for mid-30s crowd in late Oct.?

choose corfu or somewhere else, this place not up to much, very played out

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Lloret de Mar Good for mid-30s crowd in late Oct.?

Hi, we returned home yesterday from a long weekend away in fennels,which is close to lloret.We spent most of the weekend in Barcelona though.Lloret was outdated and very quiet this time of year! it's somewhere I wouldn't want to return to in sept/oct again...maybe when I'm 60+ as it was full of oap's!!

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
San Francisco...
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Lloret de Mar Good for mid-30s crowd in late Oct.?

Thank you all. This is really very helpful! Despite all of my research, these types of details are hard to figure out. Sounds like it might not be the right place for me though, which is dissapointing. it's so hard to know where is a good spot to go to! i will check out Corfu. Is there any other place outside of Barcelona that you all would recommend? Jimd-since you are the local expert, can you recommend any other towns that I might enjoy? thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Corfu
Corfu
Ionian Islands, Greece
Barcelona
Barcelona
San Francisco...
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Lloret de Mar Good for mid-30s crowd in late Oct.?

See how wordly I am - just realized Corfu is not in Spain... i REALLY need to travel more :) looking for ideas actually in Spain near Barcelona. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Corfu
Corfu
Ionian Islands, Greece
Spain
Spain
Europe
Barcelona
Barcelona
Malgrat de Mar...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,360 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Lloret de Mar Good for mid-30s crowd in late Oct.?

at that time of the year it will be a bit quieter in lloret, or any other resorts, than it would be in peak season.

however, there will still be plenty open at the weekend.

you could look at calella as an alternative to lloret, but that will be much the same with more open at the weekend than during the week.

you could also look at salou.

personally i find the period just after peak season to be great, as most of the really young crowd have gone, and most of those in lloret are there to have fun.

stick to the pubs in the town centre, no point paying to go into clubs, and you should be fine.

this site may help you a bit

http://www.lloret-de-mar-barspubguide.com/

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa Teguise
Level Contributor
6,546 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Lloret de Mar Good for mid-30s crowd in late Oct.?

Cat,

Trust me, the Greek Islands, Corfu, Rhodes, etc would be more your scene than Costa Brava. Look for cheap last miniute deals, try icelolly.com. they are good for people wanting to get away to lively breaks.

also onthebeach.co.uk are not too bad either, oylmpicholidays.co.uk do Greece too

Mentioned in this post
Corfu
Corfu
Ionian Islands, Greece
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece
Costa Brava
Costa Brava
Province of Girona, Spain
Greece
Greece
Europe
Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Lloret de Mar Good for mid-30s crowd in late Oct.?

There are pretty resorts in the Costa Brava! Just IMHO Lloret is not one of these (I know it is all about tastes, but I personally do not like places like Lloret or Salou). Late October in the Costa Brava the weather is quite unreliable, probably windy, but you can still have a nice time. I do like Tossa de Mar, it has a pretty and scenic old town and castle and its a good base to explore the area, it will be quiet but not dead. You can easily reach Tossa by bus from Barcelona.

Or, if you head South of Barcelona, IMO October is one of the best months to visit Sitges: not crowded as in summer, but still lively. This area tends to have a mild weather, so you may be even able to enjoy the beach. Sitges is just a 30-min train ride from central Barcelona.

Edited: 7:45 am, October 05, 2011
Mentioned in this post
Costa Brava
Costa Brava
Province of Girona, Spain
Salou
Salou
Costa Dorada, Spain
Barcelona
Barcelona
San Francisco...
12 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Lloret de Mar Good for mid-30s crowd in late Oct.?

Jimd-can you tell me more about Calella and Salou? I just looked up both and they look very pretty. If I left Barcelona Fri. morning, would it make sense to stay in one or the other Fri. evening and continue touring Sat.? (have to be back in Barcelona Sat. night). Would I need a car to travel to both? Thank you for the ideas!

Mentioned in this post
Salou
Salou
Costa Dorada, Spain
Malgrat de Mar...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,360 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Lloret de Mar Good for mid-30s crowd in late Oct.?

don't know salou.just know that from what i have read/researched it did not appeal to me.

calella is easy to get to by train from barca. it has a half decent nightlife, but not a patch on lloret. nice place to spend a night out.

you could always visit tossa on the saturday. train to blanes, bus to lloret then bus to tossa. it sounds more complicated than it is, but it takes about 90 minutes in total

http://www.calellabarcelona.com/

may help you.

Get answers to your questions about Lloret de Mar