We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where best in Costa Brava

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
9 helpful votes
where best in Costa Brava

Please help! We are planning a family trip to Costa Brava and were originally looking to go to Lloret. The reviews I have seen thus far suggest it' may not be appropriate for us, a family of four (mum, dad and two girls, 21 and 27 years old). ideally we would like to go to a buzzy place but without excesses. Mum and dad in particular are firmly into their five star hotels good facilities nice beach. my sister and I wouldn't mind to be near a buzzy night life but we wouldn't want to be tripping over the drunken 18 years olds plastered on the streets (I''m sure it's not exactly like that but you get an idea!). I am really lost. could someone recommend an alternative to Lloret. I have heard Llafranc and Tossa del Mar are more sophisticated and nicer places, although the latter has been described as rather too quiet..

We are actually pretty flexible and were looking into Costa del Sol as an alternative to Costa Brava altogether. i hear however that Costa Brava is more diverse as an area and beaches are better which really is a priority to us.

any recommendations for places and hotels would be HUGELY appreciated!

Thank you so so much in advance.

With best regards,

Tanya

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
23,696 posts
7 reviews
58 helpful votes
1. Re: where best in Costa Brava

Llafranc is the quite place not Tossa, which maybe does more fit the bill for you. There was a long thread here last summer about pros and cons of Tossa.

Llafranc is a small family resort which I don't think is very "buzzy".

Rather than Costa del Sol in Andalucia you could look at Costa de la Luz on Atlantic side beyond Gibraltar. Windier (windsurfing in Tarifa) and water is colder but beaches are beautiful and inland towns and villages interesting too. Beaches there get top ratings.

London
Level Contributor
513 posts
27 reviews
10 helpful votes
2. Re: where best in Costa Brava

Have a look at Platja de Aro on the Costa Brava..........mostly French and Spanish tourists, so no puking or fighting in the streets.

I stayed in an apartment, so cant recommend any hotels, I dont know when you're going, but in August it's a busy little town

Malgrat de Mar...
Destination Expert
for Lloret de Mar, Calella
Level Contributor
2,471 posts
35 reviews
70 helpful votes
3. Re: where best in Costa Brava

most of the beaches on the costa brava are shingle as opposed to sand, and they also have a very steep drop into the sea so they may not be exactly what you are looking for.

the standard of 4* hotels in spain is not the same as in the uk, so if your parents like 4/5 star i would only look at the 5* hotels.

lloret during the day is a lovely place with plenty of shops, places to go,restaurants etc.

it can get loud/lively at night when the kids go out, but they tend to go out late -after 10.00pm -and stay out till all hours in the clubs. if you pick a good hotel you should have a great time.

tossa is a lot quieter than lloret, and the local transport is not as good, but if you want to escape to somewhere livlier for a night it is only about 15 euros by taxi.

Huddersfield,West...
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
52 helpful votes
4. Re: where best in Costa Brava

Hi,

We love the Hotel Oasis Park in Lloret de mar, the hotel is official 4 star, I have worked in travel and know the hotel very well, it is in the Fenals area which is quieter but is only 5 mins walk into the town, the hotel is of a very good standard. Lloret is a great base with the 2 water parks in close proximity and Barcelona a 1 hour train ride away, Lloret is a grat and diverse place to stay with quaint little bars and restaurants if you want them or typical pubs if you want them.

Try the resort, you should not be dissapointed.

Jason

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
4 helpful votes
5. Re: where best in Costa Brava

Hi Lloret de mar is a great place for a holiday, i lived there for 3 years and have been back three times in the past 8 yrs, there is the old town with shops and a lovely church, a very nice promenade and plenty of great restaraunts and pubs if you want them, the beach is so clean and there are boat trips to go on. Im not 18 any more but loved it when i was and love it now and im 40!!!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
870 posts
8 reviews
9 helpful votes
6. Re: where best in Costa Brava

Lloret is more a place for yougsters on drink&party holiday during july and august. And hotels in general are of moderate quality level - mostly 3 star and build decades ago. However they are usually cheap and good value for money. I was in Lloret last week and had a great time (I'm 24) but it was a budget vacation for me this time, so if you can spend a bit more money and are more demanding in terms of quality accomodation then I would suggest Salou as a destination for you. It has also significant nightlife if interested, but hotels are generally better and so are the beaches. Lloret de Mar beach has very rough sand - like very small, round granite stones - very difficult to walk on when it's really hot.

email
Level Contributor
344 posts
11 reviews
24 helpful votes
7. Re: where best in Costa Brava

we stayed at te oasis park in the fenals area of llorte it was perfect a lovely beach a few lively bars only a 15 mins walk away from all the buzz of llorete so you have choice the rigate is a 5 star hotel on the beach in fenals i dont think tho you need a 5 st have a look at the surfmar hotel im going to this one next trip tossa is easy to go for the day bus from bus station in llorete its a lovely resort we have been ther many times altho no lively bars but loads of bars to have a drink and people watch

8. Re: where best in Costa Brava

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 am, September 04, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Lloret de Mar